Ford Forums banner

EL Backfiring on LPG

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  ELwilldo 
#1 ·
I've tried searching the forums, and got tired of looking back through historic posts, both without luck... so I'll ask a question instead.
I've got an EL standard Falcon running a straight gas Landi setup. For a couple of months, now, I've had problems with a huge backfire when the engine is under load.
I started out fixing the hoses that were blowing off, like the hose to the map sensor, so now they don't blow off, but now it's split the plastic elbow in the snorkel leading to the airbox!
I've tried leaning off the gas converter and the power valve, with no luck. I found I can lessen the back-fires by running the car in Power mode, instead of economy, but when you're accelerating to get up a long hill, it'll drop a huge one at about 2000 rpm.
I haven't tried advancing the distributor, because, as far as I can figure, something has changed within the engine, or its systems, to make it start blowing off all the time.

I'm lucky I've got the standard Taxi Industry airbox clamp (Ocky-strap) to hold the airbox together!

Any ideas as to
1. Why an engine will backfire under load
2. Possible faults that will help an engine do this

Cheers, and happy thinking!

Swanny

See less See more
#6 ·
not sure on the off stroke bit, but unused gas will combust in the air intake not in the engine.. As you can't meter the flow after the throttle body it can only build up and ignite eventually, it is the igniting of that unwanted LPG that pops vacuum hoses off or crack intake components

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.