Ford Forums banner

Maximum ZH wheel & tyre size

12K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  snap 
#1 ·
What are the largest tyres/rim width that can go on the rear of a ZH without mods? I have the opportunity to grab a couple of 10 inch rims, but before I do I want to hear from someone who has had these on their ZH already…

What size tyres did you run on them?
Was there any fit problem (rubbing when the car was loaded, etc)?

#2 ·
AndyZH said:
What are the largest tyres/rim width that can go on the rear of a ZH without mods? I have the opportunity to grab a couple of 10 inch rims, but before I do I want to hear from someone who has had these on their ZH already…

All I know is that I currently have 8s (245s) on the back and there is heaps of room. However, if you like I can try on a 10 inch rim (tyre isn't fitted as yet) over the weekend and see how it looks (will email you photos if you want). Can't do it tonight though, sorry. I also have some 8 inch rims with 265s which used to go on my P6 and they were no problems at all. Can send pic if you like.

Paul

#3 ·
Hi Paul

Thanks for that. I have 7inch rims with 245's on at the moment, and although it appears to have a heap of room left I just want to be sure before handing over any $$... I would be keen to see what a ZH with the 10" rim on it looks like for sure, would be most appreciative. The 245's look big enough off the car, but once they go on they are absorbed into the mass of the car!

#4 ·
Well, I run 14 x 8s with 235s on my ZH. Loads of room everywhere - at least 1.5" from outside of rim to wheelarch and another 2" before you start fouling anything on the inside of the wheel. I'd tenatively predict that 10" rims would be fine provided you didn't go over about 265 width...

#5 ·
I had 14 x 265's on the back of my zh at one stage, but when I lowered it there was no room.. Max is 9 inches wide ... Unless you have a different off set wheel.. I had centrelines on it... Did look tough but scrubbed the tyre to bits...

#6 ·
MakoZH said:
I had 14 x 265's on the back of my zh at one stage, but when I lowered it there was no room.. Max is 9 inches wide ... Unless you have a different off set wheel.. I had centrelines on it... Did look tough but scrubbed the tyre to bits...
With my P6 it was not lowered at all, I suppose that is why I had no problems with the 265's.

AndyZH said:
Hi Paul

Thanks for that. I have 7inch rims with 245's on at the moment, and although it appears to have a heap of room left I just want to be sure before handing over any $$... I would be keen to see what a ZH with the 10" rim on it looks like for sure, would be most appreciative. The 245's look big enough off the car, but once they go on they are absorbed into the mass of the car!
Will fit both the 265/8 inch rim as well as the 10 inch rim over the weekend and will send you photos.
Paul

#8 ·
AndyZH said:

You have a pm.

#12 ·
AndyZH said:

How much for the rims if you don't mind may asking?

and what kind are they?

#14 ·
AndyZH said:
They were 12 slotters, and from memory the guy was asking $400 for two of them. After further investigation I let it go for the moment, I will be happy with my 7" with 245's until they go bald.

Thanks to all who provided input.
yeah slotters look nice on a ZH

i got 7" on the front and 8" on the back

still tonnes of room tho...i reckon 11" will squeeze in the back nicely

#18 ·
Gday again,

Just want to clarify a couple of things:

I measured up one of my 15x10 Weld wheels (with 295/50/15) this morning, the wheel's back spacing (not including the tyre) is 5", but that is insufficient. I bought these wheels second hand, but if I were ordering new wheels I would order 5.5" back spacing.

The wheel/tyre will sit close to both the leaf spring and the guard/fender lip. To gain a little more clearance you can roll the guard lip, and/or, do the old Bathurst Falcon coupe modification of slightly bulging the guards (I haven't tried this on a ZH, but it works well on coupes).

The rear axle of leaf sprin cars tends to move from side to side quite a bit, so the likelihood of tyre contact with spring, or guard, is still high. You could try instaling a panhard bar or a watts link to limit this movement.

Be aware, also, that from the factory due to manufacturing tolerances,slight missalignments in manufacture etc. the rear axle/diff is often not dead centre in the body/frame (mine was off centre to the right by half, or three quarters of an inch, can't remember which). This is not a problem with stock skinny wheels, (and you cant even see the missalignment unless you measure everything) but with BIG wheels/tyres it becomes obvious.

Also, with such large tyres you may not be able to lower your car as much as you would like, without rubbing.

On top of all this, if you do your homework, and the required hard work and manage to get the lot to fit you will still find possible legality problems, some of which are:
-over track
-on a 9" rear axle the wheel rims should have a ZERO offset (at least in S.Aust. I think that is the case)
-depending on what wheels/tyres are fitted to the font of the car (i.e. not wide enough), the rear tyres may be deemed too wide.

SUMMARY: 15x10 rims, with 295/50/15 tyres can fit on the rear of a ZH, but you would have to really, really want them.

#21 ·
G'day snap,
235/60-15's on the 15x8's, and 295/50-15's on the 15x10's look nicely proportioned together, in fact they are the sizes of tyre I will be using on the new wheels Iv'e got for my ZH. You just need to do some very carefull measuring to make sure it will all fit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.