Ford Forums banner

second battery set up?

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  madwob 
#1 ·
i was looking at getting this sub

http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/car_entertainment/subwoofers/305cbox/index.html

and running it with this amp

http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/car_entertainment/amplifiers/gmd510m/index.html

but if i add a second amp later for speakers, i've been told i'll kill the battery in my 1990 TX5.
A guy i know said he can install a second battery in the boot, which would run the system.

just wanted to check with some people who know what they're talkin about to see if this idea is ok, and if it will cause any problems etc.

the only details i know is that the battery would be in the boot, and that he said something about a switch inside the car that lets u choose which battery is charging....

thanks in advance

#3 ·
how much would something like that set me back, and who would install it?

is it just a straight swap?

and would that allow me to have 2 subs in my car without having to worry about killing my battery ?

thanks for your reply :hy:

#6 ·
Yeah but give you enough go to drive your car to the corner shop and back on your starter motor.

I got one in me boot to run all my shit, im yet to kill it.

I'd go with what Fhrx said and just put one under your bonnet, by the time you buy cabling, duel battery isolator (if you use one) and all the accessories as well as another battery, it will probably work out cheaper anyway.

By the way $375 is not a bad price, iv seen them around for a fare bit more then that!

#7 ·
yeah i wasnt suggesting he was charging to much, from what ive seen, $375 is a good price..

just wasn't looking to spend that much just to run the system if you know what i mean.

i think ill hold off on this...cancel all my audio upgrade plans for the TX5, and save it all for my next car which will be something bigger like an EF/L XR or an AU.

thanks anyway.

#8 ·
Dont cancel your plans for the audio system just because you believe you need those expensive upgrades.

I am running my third major audio install in my car and have always just run larger capacity batteries. I haven't needed any second battery or special gel cel. I usually just go down to the local battery place and find the largest cold cranker (CCA) That they have that will fit in the standard battery box. In my first car (1985 Ford Telstar) i had a 1200w max amp and a 500w max amp running as well as neons and the like and i had a 480 CCA battery. i could run the stereo for a couple of hours and still be able to start the car. In my new car i used the same philosophy and while i haven't tested how long it will last i haven't had any problems yet.

Take it Easy.

#10 ·
Thought of also fitting higher amp alternator ??? Two smaller batteries is cheaper in some ways..Higher cca...

#12 ·
yeah, i think my current battery is A) a piece of shit, and B) on its way out....it dies after about 10 minutes of the stereo bein on with the car off...so a new battery will be in shortly....

im actually thinking of holding off on the stereo, and waiting for a bigger and better system in the next car...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.