Ford Forums banner

classic v. modern g/box mounts

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Pilch 
#1 ·
The gearbox mount that bolts on to the crossmember is different between the above mentioned. For this case lets compare a C10 to a T5. the C10 bolts on with two threads and nuts onto the crossmember, and has no real give, eg. rubber cushioning. The T5 bolts up with one thread and nut, and has a large rubber spacer which allows some give.

My question is why the difference? And which mounting is best in the XC with the T5? I currently have a single bolt through crossmember, but have also seen two bolt setups.

I'd guess there must be a significant difference in engine mounting which is the reason behind the gearbox mounting.

#3 ·
so its just another way for Ford to make a few extra dollars, and there is not supposed to be any difference as far as strength, etc.?

I was just a little concerned my gearbox is tilting a little more than normal. Had a look underneath last night and the only conclusion I still make is possibly the different g/box mount. I know it moves 'coz the cruise control magnet keeps getting knocked off the tailshaft, and its mounted as close as possible to the g/box end, and the sensor is a good 5mm from the magnet. Surely it shouldn't move that much!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.