Ford Forums banner

5.0L Mods

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  amo4387622 
#1 ·
I've got a 1987 Grand Marquis 5.0L EFI. I heard that there isn't much difference between the Grand Marquis 5.0 and the Mustang 5.0. Fox body Mustang parts are plentiful and cheap now. Is there anything off the old Mustangs that I can bolt on the Grand Marquis to help out the performance? I know the air/fuel and the intake/exhaust are pretty restrictive, I mean how else can they choke down the 302 to make 140hp and 170ft/lbs of torque in my car. I just installed a new .040 over short block, had my heads rebuilt, and got a lot of other new parts that go along with a heart transplant. The car has almost 200k miles on it, but was very well maintained. (family car) I just want to get some more power out of it. I was thinking about replacing the injectors, and someone said I could just bolt on a 5.0 Mustang MAF sensor and that would free up some more hp. Please give me some suggestions. I just want to stay pretty bolt-on, I don't have the tools or the money to get too extensive. Thanks for your help.

#2 ·
Do not bolt on parts from a mustang. They have differnt compression ratios, firing order, heads, intake, timing, and vacuum systems. A 1982-93 mustang firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8, a 1979-1993 grand is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. The best bolt on I can suggest is duel exhaust out the back with a pair of mustang shorty headers from here

#3 ·
I hit the submit button to fast. Also put a pair of 21lbs injectors on and a pair of bigger fuels rails, I forget who makes them. A grand is designed as a economy full size car. Ford saw it as unpractical to make a couger grand, witch would be sweet, but ford didn't. Theres no other mods unless you want to tear the engine down and mod it. Also .040 does nothing cause you engine brain still sees it as regular and also the 87 computer brain is real constrictive of water ever you do. I have tried a mustang computer brain just to have it blow a seal out of an injector. I bought a compter programmer for $400 and reworked the brain to what I want out of allot of trial and error.

#4 ·
You can pretty much take every thing from the mustang and bolt it on your GM 5.0 and you do not have to worry about the compression and vacuum system. But the throttle body needs a little modding to work on the GM mostly how the linkage hooks up. Also i forget which part it is but i believe it is the cam that if you install it into the GM you have to move some of the plug wires to accomedate the firing order of that mustang cam. The best part you can take off the mustang is the cyclinder heads because are stock lo-po 5.0's have crapy cyclinder heads. Then from there what ever else you take off the mustang will give you a descent amount of power increase but only after you change the cyclinder heads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.