Ford Forums banner

EA T5 box will it like 5500red line gear changes

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  sam12h 
#1 ·
i'm planning an engine conversion using a T5 from an EA on a 4.0 which will probably go close to 6000rpm will the T5 handle this much revs??? i've heard that they don't like it....

#2 ·
Its not Revs that kill a gearbox its torque and hard shifting
a T5 is designed for any E Series six as they all have the same box just
some will have different ratios. so long as your not dumping the clutch hard every time you shift at that RPM it should take it

#3 ·
89Falcon said:
Its not Revs that kill a gearbox its torque and hard shifting
a T5 is designed fr any E Series six so long as your not dumping the clutch hard every time you shift at that RPM it should take it
i thinkl someone said its hard to pull the next gear when the revs are high(not sure how high they were talking about), i don't think there will be all that much torque i think strength wise it will be ok but not sure on operation
in regards to shifting gears at high rpm

#4 ·
EA had a weaker box

#9 ·
Walkinshaw said:
EA box had a lower torque rating to EB==> boxes. Its identifiable by the 3.5:1 1st gear.
thanks for input so far guys, keep it comin, whats a freshen up cost for these boxes by someone who is not a rip off, just bearings im guessing, second gear sinchro is worn but i hear these are dear so fkuc it. as long as its strong and can change into second at 5500 rpm with about 200 flywheel kw

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.