Ford Forums banner

Auxilary Drive Shaft seizure

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  daza_mate 
#1 ·
had anyone ever come across what ford call the auxillary drive shaft, its the shaft that runs off the timing chain to drive the dizzy, mine has seized up and i was wondering if you guys had any idea how i might be able to get it out

#2 ·
unfortunately you are goinig to have to pull the motor out and apart to fix this problem. The auxilary shaft tunnel will have to be bored out to fit a oversize outside diameter bearing which will have to be machined on a milling machine. This is not a uncommon problem as I have done about 6 of these at work.You can buy the bearing from ACL or just let an engine reconditiner fix this for you. And as for getting the shaft out? Just remove the timing cover,drop the timing chain off, remove the sump,dizzy,oil pump drive shaft,thrust plate for the auxilary shaft and using a hammer and long punch hit the shaft out and more than likely throw the shaft away!! PS. remember to check that the "good" auxilary shaft spins freely and does not score up the new bearing.

#3 ·
why cant i just get the shaft out and clean up the tunnel surface without boring it out, what would be the consequenses of doin that

#4 ·
Chances are its destroyed the bearings, possibly even spun them, and in turn the shaft would most likely be damaged,
If you just take it out and put it back in, you can experience loss of oil pressure, knocking noise, and possibly seizure again. Not to mention metal filings floating throughout the engine.

#5 ·
You might find u can not even get the shaft out, if its ciesed up, did it breaak the gear of the front of the shaft... They dont run a bearing factory in there, but if the tension of the chain is to tight (tensioner not relased) or there is an oil pressure problem, The shaft can actualluy melt its self into the block. We had a mates 4.0 do this, it snaped the gear of the front when it stoped, we tried all day to get it out of the block and in the end gave up... If you do manage to get it out you will find the surface of the tunnel to be rough and scored, you will def either need to get it tunnel bored and the bearings fitted or turf the block out and start again

#6 ·
yes it is seized in there, it wont turn and it wont slide out, i did break the gear on the front , it just broke the dough so the gear spins but not the shaft ,so looks like its welded itself in there, i was thinking of getting some sort of slide hammer on the front of it.

#8 ·
the bloody thing was a reco motor and now it shit itself on me, whoever done it must of been dodgy

#9 ·
if i rebuild the bottom end, and use the 3.2 L motor con rods, is that setup safe to use with an ed xr6 head , does the piston actually poke out of the top of the block when its at TDC. I know this setup will give you more compression which means more power is there any other advantage for doin this upgrade

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.