Ford Forums banner

Xf Overheating - Help

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Wolf159 
#1 ·
Got the better half's xf back on the road about 4 days ago after a 3month rest due to lack of funds for rego, car was running fine, been driving around with no probs until today when suddenly she overheats, i mean really hot within 5mins of leaving the driveway she had coollant in her so i in hoping its not the head or the gasket. When you turn off the motor you can hear air banging in the cooling system. ive tried bleeding the system via the nipple in the thermo housing, I got steam. I've flushed her out. When i run her in the drive with the cap off and rev her and then let it idle i get water coming out of the radiator. There is no water in the oil or coming out of the exhaust... Any ideas

#2 ·
Wolf159 said:
Got the better half's xf back on the road about 4 days ago after a 3month rest due to lack of funds for rego, car was running fine, been driving around with no probs until today when suddenly she overheats, i mean really hot within 5mins of leaving the driveway she had coollant in her so i in hoping its not the head or the gasket. When you turn off the motor you can hear air banging in the cooling system. ive tried bleeding the system via the nipple in the thermo housing, I got steam. I've flushed her out. When i run her in the drive with the cap off and rev her and then let it idle i get water coming out of the radiator. There is no water in the oil or coming out of the exhaust... Any ideas
i'm no expert with thermostats but one that is stuck closed would be my guess, mine was stuck open and running too cold causing rich mixtures and exessive fuel consumption

#4 ·
Yep, thermostat would be first port of call. A cheap way to eliminate one possible problem.

While you're at it, grab hold of the fan and see if there is any play in the shaft of the water pump. Mine had the slightest movement but it was enough to make it cavitate and not pump anything, my temp used to get real high all of a sudden, then suddenly drop again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.