Ford Forums banner

94 EF Falcon Gearbox durability

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  notty 
#1 ·
Hey all..

I've got a 94 EF auto, completely stock currently bar a 'dragon' performance filter in the airbox...

The engine has about 60,000km on it.

I'm thinking about doing a few performance mods such as
extractors, exhaust, cam, chip, and perhaps if i get adventurous
even some head work.

My question relates to the stock auto gearbox. I've just recently had it
rebuilt (after 150,000km). I've heard of nasty things happening to this box
if you put much more than stock power thru it. Is there much truth to it?
If I do keep this gearbox, one thing that I'll definetly do is put on an oil cooler.

One option I spose is throwing in a good manual box like a supra turbo 5
speed or something, but thats likely to be ultra expensive.

Cheers,
-Shaun

See less See more
#3 ·
hey mate, ive got a 94 ef with 150rwkw and my auto is handling it fine no problems what so ever, but your right in getting a trans cooler, im having one put on in january as well as a shift kit maybe even a stall, but at the moment its runing smoother than ever just keep it serviced.

#6 ·
Sounds great...

thanks for the info guys... at least thats one thing less to be worrying about...
Any other things I should be looking out for when pushing more power thru?

I doubt I'll ever get any more than 200rwkw... I'm not made of money :)

is the xr6/xr8 gearbox the same as the gli?

#7 ·
just don't do any stupid shifting like i did and it will hold out fine, i basicly thrashed mine cause i was young and dumb, and then i found i had some money so i bought a t5 :D

the auto to skip gears, go into limp mode or something make a heap of noise and had some trouble finding gears, kinda made it a bit more fun and intresting to drive cause it was like a high stall in 2nd gear but got annoying in the end

#8 ·
Thanks for everyone's input... Its renewed my intrest in moding my car..

I've just put in a cold air intake with some of that flexible pipe that is made of a rather heavy duty (what looks like) aluminium foil with a wire spiral thru it for strength. Just waiting for some silicone to dry and then i'll take it for a drive.. see what difference its made.

Next thing I'm thinking about is sticking a turbo on it. I'm gonna do some searching thru some old posts and see what I can find out. I'm sure google would also be useful. I'm in Perth... any recommended 'tuning shops' to goto to check out pricing etc?

A mate of mine (who is a fan of rice power) has said that reconditioned turbos would be a good place to start. I forget which turbo it was he mentioned, but aparantly a good recon turbo would start at about $1000.

I'm expecting a turbo setup to cost some where in the region of $4000 for turbo, exhaust+headers, inlet piping electronic boost controller... does that sound about right?

My other concern with adding a turbo would be the gas system on the car. Its an OMVL compex mixer with a gas ring. I noticed that there is a hose plumbed into the air box on the 'dirty' side of the filter. Obviously this is so the mixer can detect the vaccuum generated by the engine sucking the air in. Any ideas as to if this will still work with a turbo?

Anyone think I'm wasting my time even thinking about turbo'ing a dual fuel vehicle?

Cheers!
-Shaun

#10 ·
the 4spped btr is a bloody tough box if you keep it cool and put in an electronic shiftkit. The only problems it has is the selector switch and S5 solenoid.

I'd turbo my EF tomorrow if I could find a 5speed box that would handle 300kw and my driving stile for under 3k :)

#11 ·
turbotrana's doing some impressive work... its a real inspiration :)

As he has said in his thread though, only some fine wimin will get him to part with his secrets on how to make the btr box solid. Fair enough too, its probably something hes spent alot of time and effort developing. If hes so inclined, he may release kits or perhaps do the work him self on people's gearboxes to strengthen them. We can only hope :)

Whats the problem with the selector switch (i assume you mean the economy switch?) and the S5 solenoid?

An electronic shift kit will make the gearbox last longer? I would have thought that if anything It'd push things harder and cause them to break earlier.

Cheers,
-Shaun

#12 ·
by having a quicker shift the auto bands slip less witch causes less where if you had a gearbox that slams gears and cherps and stuff like that it would be even stronger cause there is less HP and torque been put into the slipage but the only thing that wears faster is your diff!
but from my personal experience they are pretty strong too!
cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.