Ford Forums banner

Rocker Gear

5K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  grey_esp 
#1 ·
Do standard 2V and 4V heads share the same rocker gear? and Valve springs? If not what is the differnce? rocker Ratio? Valve spring pressure?

#4 ·
There were no Black 4V in the falcon range. Were these in the F series?

I was reading an old Tunining guide last night and it stated that some 4Vs 70s and 71s had higher spring pressures than others 75 onward. ANy comments. Im asuming its because the pre pollution cars had bigger cams in them.

#5 ·
Guys,
the rocker gear on standard clevelands regardless of blue (xw to xc) or black (xd/e)blocks is essentially the same (except spring rates) and is NON adjustable, the only adjustable rocker gear on clevelands was on the phase 2 an 3's with solid cams.

#8 ·
I think you just got lucky. Definatley not standard gear there.
I was just looking for a cheap alternative to upgrade my valve train. Dont need rollers, as I wont be reving that high, just wanted a good tough street engine, that is very reliable.

#9 ·
grey_esp said:
Do standard 2V and 4V heads share the same rocker gear? and Valve springs? If not what is the differnce? rocker Ratio? Valve spring pressure?
All 2V and 4V heads should be the same specs except for the Oz 4V GT Closed Chamber heads which should have a 4 and a dot on the heads. I was told the dot meant they were machined for screw in studs and guide plates for the solid cam setup !!! I think the 4V Oz GT heads had around 120lb at the seat.
All Clevo heads have a 1.73:1 rocker ratio but the standard springs were around 85lb closed. I think the 4V Oz GT heads were just 70, 71 and 72 American Mustang Boss heads imported for Bathurst and shoved onto the Phase 3 and 4 and some lucky XA GTs and even some XBs.
Thats what I think anyway. I will c if I an post some pics of my 4V heads !!!

#10 ·
grey_esp said:
I was just looking for a cheap alternative to upgrade my valve train. Dont need rollers, as I wont be reving that high, just wanted a good tough street engine, that is very reliable.
Try Performance Valve Springs CLBB1 springs which r single with damper and 120lb seat and around 0.550" max lift. Good for cams up to 230 dur @ 0.050". Must buy new steel retainers and collets while ur there. Standard rockers with better push rods. All should be fine to 5500 rpm where a Streeter should rev to.

#11 ·
Thats exactly the info I was after clevo400 cheers for that.
the cam I was looking at is a speed pro CS173R
219/219 @0.050 and .505/.505 with new springs collets and retainers. So A 120lb spring is good for this size cam then? Bearing in mind It needs to be reliable but not wear my cam out in 2000kms. Spring pressure and cams sizes are new territory for me. But this seems like a good street cam.

#12 ·
grey_esp said:
Thats exactly the info I was after clevo400 cheers for that.
the cam I was looking at is a speed pro CS173R
219/219 @0.050 and .505/.505 with new springs collets and retainers. So A 120lb spring is good for this size cam then? Bearing in mind It needs to be reliable but not wear my cam out in 2000kms. Spring pressure and cams sizes are new territory for me. But this seems like a good street cam.
those specs are the same as the cam in my GT, except mines a blue racer. i run standard springs and it'll rev to 5500 without any probs. thats MY redline.

#14 ·
grey_esp said:
What sort of horses are you getting out of it?
What else have you done?
1/4?

i don't know how many ponies, but it pulls a lot harder from about 2400rpm than standard. performer intake, 4160 holley, o/c heads done for ULP, pacemaker 4 into 1's (but i'll be changing them to tri's for ground clearance), twin 2" exhaust, no balance pipe, standard points dissy.
pretty basic, but it's a streeter not a racer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.