Ford Forums banner

XR8 v XR6T v SS

4K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Jabba 
#1 ·
ok guys I apologise coz this has prolly been asked many times before. but I am almost off my police plates and found a pic of my old xr6 lying around (it looked so horny). So I am currently stuck as to whether I should get an XR8, XR6T or VY SS. which would i be looking at making more power out of for around $10k and is it worth going for the new 6spd versions or getting a second hand 5spd.
Matt

#2 ·
The best advice you can get is to drive all 3.

But generally - XR6T will feel the quickest. Very linear, tonnes or torque everywhere - race like. The XR8 is macho, brute force that sounds way better than an SS. Still ample get-up.
Haven't driven a VY SS but I hate the interior for starters so would never consider one - very cheap feel compared to the Fords. Plus there is ZERO storage in the cabin and no tub liner.

Personally I'd go the auto in turbo form or manual for the big donk v8.
Cheers.

#3 ·
the turbo will give u best performance for money and is the better handled out of the three. personally i test drove a vy ss and i hated every second of the drive that wasnt in a straight line. i felt uncomfortable at a decent speed through coners and and it liked to under steer. plus i didnt like the "I drive a comodore" mentality that alot seem to be poping up with

#4 ·
personally i hate the sound of the gen3 it's so hollow but i know how easy it is to get 300kw outta one. the only interior i'm getting is gonna be leather anyway but the dash setup in the SS looks cheap i will agree. so i guess it come down to how much power can i push outta the XR6T and the boss

#7 ·
qWiGyBo said:
has anybody twin turbo'd the xr8 engine yet
The driveline wouldn't take it anyway so why bother

#8 ·
massive torque and power... and i wanna be individual so having one of the only twin turbo boss260'z rolling around pushing 400rwkw sounds good and u cant beat the sound of the V8 growl with the blowoff valve

#9 ·
Aint driven a XR6T but i have an XR8 an it feels big an heavy puntin around corners, my mates SS feels much lighter an nimble in my opinion. The XR8 really feels the weight over the front end, which may be easy fixed with new springs as mine is all stock.
The SS still has the advantage when coming to mods, but the Fords are catching up.
Plus the fords sound tougher!!

#11 ·
flavze said:
Aint driven a XR6T but i have an XR8 an it feels big an heavy puntin around corners, my mates SS feels much lighter an nimble in my opinion. The XR8 really feels the weight over the front end, which may be easy fixed with new springs as mine is all stock.
The SS still has the advantage when coming to mods, but the Fords are catching up.
Plus the fords sound tougher!!
i got koni shocks with lovell springs,set up by wa suspension in perth.its abit hard normal driving but well worth it on the roundabouts and them big long high speed bends.its the setup in perth streetcar mag about 6 months ago.You can see the shock on the ricers faces when your still sittin up there arses!

#12 ·
qWiGyBo said:
flavze how did you manage to kill ur ute in 2 months
ummm.....excess speed, inatentive driving and 3 apple trees = 1 ****ed ute!

#13 ·
depends what u want, the ss isnt bad for straight line speed, ( the old girl has a cammed and edited ss sedan ) and for dollar value, i think it is pretty quick, 6000 or so and her car went from a stock 160 somethign kw, ro 260 odd. so cant really argue with figures, yet to run it down the 1/4 yet, but from seein other ls1's with similar firgures, 12s wouldnt be a surpise.

depends on what you want, i have an AU and i think its much much better finihed the her later model higher grade commy, plus if you got the ute, i think the AU shits all over the vy, my brother has a similar spec vy v6 man, i have an au 6 auto, the only think i like on his over mine, the gearstick.

mine has everything better, the interior, much more finished, the exterior, personaly opinion, the drive, comparable, the space for a big guy in the driver seat ( as myself, 120 kegs ) uncomparable! the falcon has soooo much more ball room ( sorry to put it so bluntly but its true) then the holden its not funny, i can spread my legs sooo much in my ute, in my bros you simply cant, therefore i rate the falcon higher again.

but this is simply my point of view, go out and drive all three and let me know what conclusion you came to.

regards
chris taylor

#14 ·
If you like straight line speed, Then go for the SS. However the ford is only behind by a few tenths. But if you like a good fang around the hills and like the odd round about or 2, Then the XR is for you.

I use to own a AUII XR8 ute and it would out run a clubby on the windey roads. It also had better road manners the Commy. I now have a BA XR8 ute and at first I thought it had piss poor handling. But it was not the cars fault it was the driver and now that I am use to the little differances between the AU/BA I can honestly say that the BA is a better handling car then the AUII. My work mate has a VZ SS ute that is lowered, headers and exhaust, my ute has the mod listed on my signature. The 2 of us got into it leading up to a massive round about and and up to the motorway. The SS was infront when we started to get into it(single lane road) when we got onto the roundabout I was going to go around him on the out side, but I notice he got some massive understeer so I stayed behind him untill he started to exit then I opened the throttle all the way and went around him on the out side as he apexed the exit. He was pissed off. here I am with standard XR suspension and I had so much more corner speed it was not funny. And I have been hanging sh!t ever since. By the way the SS has 19inch wheels and I have 17 inch.

I found with the BA XR8 you do get a little more understeer the the AU if you go into a corner to hot. But with the BA once you are in the corner it holds on so much better that your exit speed is much greater the the AU.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.