Ford Forums banner

Pursuit standard exhaust

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  ratter 
#1 ·
I have a pursuit Mk2 ute and I'm wanting to know how restrictive is the standard exhaust.

Has anyone here only changed their exhaust from cats back and picked up much power (not taking into account exhaust noise)?

Why I'm asking is, I'm thinking about putting Di Fillipo extractors and hi flow cats on, but thinking about leaving the standard exhaust to keep it quite (just to keep everyone thinking it's stock), But I dont want to keep it if it is going to be restrictive. I understand it may not flow as good as a 3" single sports system, but if it's only , say 1-2 kw's in it I may keep it.

DiFillopo advertise an 18 rwkw gain using their extractors, hi flows and 3" single, but it comes out at 94 db, and thats their base system, then they have a big one that gains 23-25 rwkw but is rather noisey.

I possibly will also be using ss induction cold air intake, BMC filter, Helix spacer and possibly undedrives and later on boss edit.

I will also post this in the exhaust section and ute section trying to get answers.

Mick

See less See more
#2 ·
ratter said:
I have a pursuit Mk2 ute and I'm wanting to know how restrictive is the standard exhaust.

Has anyone here only changed their exhaust from cats back and picked up much power (not taking into account exhaust noise)?

Why I'm asking is, I'm thinking about putting Di Fillipo extractors and hi flow cats on, but thinking about leaving the standard exhaust to keep it quite (just to keep everyone thinking it's stock), But I dont want to keep it if it is going to be restrictive. I understand it may not flow as good as a 3" single sports system, but if it's only , say 1-2 kw's in it I may keep it.

DiFillopo advertise an 18 rwkw gain using their extractors, hi flows and 3" single, but it comes out at 94 db, and thats their base system, then they have a big one that gains 23-25 rwkw but is rather noisey.

I possibly will also be using ss induction cold air intake, BMC filter, Helix spacer and possibly undedrives and later on boss edit.

I will also post this in the exhaust section and ute section trying to get answers.[mick/quote]

Hi Ratter,

I've noticed you gain the most from the extractors (15-18rwkw) and proberly
only 5-8rwkw from the rest of the system. yes you are right the 3" system
sounds the best but you struggle to keep under the 90db limit, also you dont get any gains possibly small losses mainly down low(due to back presure) and these Boss motors need everything they can get down low.
Always been told duals all the way for manuals and dual into single 3" and back to dual out back for autos.
I own a Boss 260 and run pacemaker extractors into dual X pipe system all the way(redback) with std cats. At idle you wouldn't hardly notice it had the exaust done but as soon as you rev it it's a different story, sounds ausome.
From the power figures I'm get at the moment its saying that the exaust is not restrictive at all( and under the 90db limit).
Also those other mods you were talking about i have them all and still when crusing sounds very std except you can here her purr more but put your foot down and it turns into a roar.
What I'm trying to say is if the cops/epa went past you they wouldn't even blink an eyelid.
Do all that to a Boss 290 and you have one exciting motor car.
Well that my 2 bob, hope it helps.

Happy driving!

#3 ·
ratter said:

I will also post this in the exhaust section and ute section trying to get answers.

Mick
Mick

I have DiFillpo Headers and Cats with Dual 3" on my XR8...there is no drone but it is loud especially when you lay the boot into it.

PM me if you want to know more or PM your phone no and we can talk about it if you want. I also have sound files of the exhaist note which I can email if you want.

Cheers

Brad

#4 ·
XR8888 said:
Mick

I have DiFillpo Headers and Cats with Dual 3" on my XR8...there is no drone but it is loud especially when you lay the boot into it.

PM me if you want to know more or PM your phone no and we can talk about it if you want. I also have sound files of the exhaist note which I can email if you want.

Cheers

Brad

Geez Brad your Boss must sound so mean when you give it a boot full with that dual 3" system as mine sounds pretty dam good with only 2.5" dual.

#5 ·
Wade rocks said:
Geez Brad your Boss must sound so mean when you give it a boot full with that dual 3" system as mine sounds pretty dam good with only 2.5" dual.
...and lov'n it....

#7 ·
I am currently running after market headers and cats with the standard cats back on my XR8 ute. Getting the rest of the system in a week. Changed to a SS cold air and BMC filter at the same time. Certainly sounds better, induction and exhaust note but is still quiet. Certainly goes better too. Ute has a nice stealthy (probably shouldn't use that word) way about it. Quiet down low, roars away up top. Worth trying. Wouldn't hurt as if it's too quiet you can just slip a cats back on and try that, all the major work is done.

#8 ·
Sunday said:
I am currently running after market headers and cats with the standard cats back on my XR8 ute. Getting the rest of the system in a week. Changed to a SS cold air and BMC filter at the same time. Certainly sounds better, induction and exhaust note but is still quiet. Certainly goes better too. Ute has a nice stealthy (probably shouldn't use that word) way about it. Quiet down low, roars away up top. Worth trying. Wouldn't hurt as if it's too quiet you can just slip a cats back on and try that, all the major work is done.

Would appreciate it, if you could post back here after the exhaust goes on and let me know your impressions, before and after dyno figures would be great, but understand not every one has access or money for a dyno run.

is the XR8 ute and pursuit exhaust different?

#10 ·
bossxr8 said:
XR8 ute and Pursuit exhausts are the same.

Thanks ,
I would have though FPV would have changed the exhaust :idunno:

#11 ·
Now have the complete exhaust on my XR8 ute. With cold air, filter, headers, cats and standard exhaust it made a 14 rwk increase after the cats back was fitted. Made 259 rwk in total. I think thats a bit over the top but thats what the dyno says.( i know dyno's can be all the place!) Custom edit goes in on Monday. Will post results( and tell who's exhaust and edit job it is, when i can. I don't won't to get caught up in those cash for comment accusations that get thrown around. I'll pay my bill and then tell.) Exhaust is nice though. top quality, all stainless port to tip. Kind of quite but that's o.k. it makes the power.

#12 ·
Thanks for the update, lets us know about the edit also please

#13 ·
Picked up the ute today with custom edit installed. Made 275 rwk. Only driven it home so far, bit of a warm morning too. Goes great! 1st gear is now totally useless with your foot down. 2nd is doing it's best to let go too. Pulls very hard through the middle now but didn't get much extra top end. Power curve is very flat at 6000, makes the extra rev limit almost pointless. The work was done by Intune Motorsport. The headers and exhaust are made by them. My ute was the first cats back for utes they made. I never got the chance to dyno the ute standard but 275 rwk in an XR8 with intake, filter, full exhaust and custom edit seems like a good figure. Certainly goes well!

#14 ·
Sunday said:
Picked up the ute today with custom edit installed. Made 275 rwk. Only driven it home so far, bit of a warm morning too. Goes great! 1st gear is now totally useless with your foot down. 2nd is doing it's best to let go too. Pulls very hard through the middle now but didn't get much extra top end. Power curve is very flat at 6000, makes the extra rev limit almost pointless. The work was done by Intune Motorsport. The headers and exhaust are made by them. My ute was the first cats back for utes they made. I never got the chance to dyno the ute standard but 275 rwk in an XR8 with intake, filter, full exhaust and custom edit seems like a good figure. Certainly goes well!
:hy: WOW 275 is great assuming they're not fudging dyno figures at all.
I was looking at the intune extractors,hiflows and system but was after some results from other users, after hearing about yours, it sounds like it may the way to go.
Do any others have any similar results and possibly from another dyno?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.