Ford Forums banner

XF with AU engine

8K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Mrshin 
#1 ·
Okay, so I'm new around here :priest: I'm not normally a Ford man, and I don't see that changing any time soon (oh dear, NO help for me now hey!)

Anyway, mate of mine has bought a '90 XF ute, with a 250(duh...) and 3 speed column manual. Rotten thing it is! Anyway, he's found an AU XR6 engine and 5 speed he wants me to put in there, so I did a bit of a search, and was looking for confirmation of a few points:

I'll need XG engine mounts, but can I use the 3 speed tailshaft and gearbox crossmember? Also what about the horrible old cable clutch, how well does that work in with the T5? Presumably a hole will have to be bored in the floor for the gearstick somewhere, anything I need to know here? I guess I could use XG manual console etc.?

Engine swaps etc. aren't a problem for me, just I normally never touch Ford stuff, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask a few questions from those that might!

#2 ·
Hi mate. I presume that before you dig up some engine mounts and drill the hole in the floor for the gearstick that you have solved a few important other issues. Have you, for instance, acquired a complete AU ECU, ignition and smartlock system, engine compartment and dashboard wiring looms, assorted engine sensors, suitable exhaust and so on. It's a huge leap from an X series to an A series Falcon, they are poles apart technically. I suggest that you ought to rethink the idea and just stick with a compatible motor, it would be a mighty challenge to change as you've suggested.

#3 ·
Yes, I was aware of these particular, er, minor(!) issues. However, I have got a couple of options:
1. All of the stuff from the donor car is available, and I do have an electronics background, as well as having done this kind of thing before (just not with a Ford!)
2. The guy who owns it likely has slightly bigger plans for this project than the factory gear will support anyway!

Just want to be sure of the physical side of things e.g. mounts, sump, tailshaft, clutch cable, etc.

#4 ·
All electronic things aside;

The rear gearbox mounts will have to be modified slightly. The AU I6 and T5 combo is about 70mm longer then the old 250 Xflow combo.

Tail shaft will need to be changed. My suggestion would be to use an EB/D wagon tail shaft and diff combo then using XG handbrake cable.

As for the cross member I cannot say for sure as I’ve only done an EL motor conversion (runs a different sump to AU)

The front cross member / lower radiator support will need to be cut down to allow for the harmonic balancer and alternator on the new motor.

In regard to the electrics be weary that post series one AU’s had smart SHIELD I havent seen much info around on it as oppose to smart lock. Also, if using an XR6 motor you should run the XR6 ECU.

I would be very interested to know haw you go with cross member and the AU sump as I’m considering the upgrade my self in the future????

Hope this helps!!

#5 ·
All good stuff! Yeah, I guess using the wagon bits does seem like a good idea. That way you'd at least get the rear disc brake setup (presumably with those HORRIBLE EB rear calipers like the sedan?) Would the XG and EB wagon handbrake cable be different?
Also, does anybody know about clutch cables?

#6 ·
I believe that the E series clutch cable should go straight in as should the pedal box, but not sure about AU items.

You can also use an EF - AU accelerator cable and pedal which will bolt straight in being a post 87 XF.

The hand brake cables are different from E series and XG you need an XG one.

The other advantage in changing the rear diff/axel assembly is you also then get the appropriate diff ratios for your new engine and transmission combination.

Any news on how the AU sump goes with the XF cross member??

#7 ·
Thanks for the info again. I was looking into using an E wagon diff so that I'd have the 4 pinion diff, and something (slightly) better than 2.77 or 2.92 gears. Would, say, an EB wagon have 3.08, or maybe someting like 3.36?

Only thing I can say about the AU sump is that it's a front sump... I won't know anything about how well it fits until I try it, I suppose!

#9 ·
I was considering the same mod with my XF ute, did some sums, and found it heaps cheaper to buy an XH. Another major consideration is the steering, the XF steering box is utter crap with a very limited turning circle when compared to the XH rack.

#10 ·
The spline on the tail shaft is different post early EA. EB wagons have 3.08 and 3.27 diff ratios. The EB XR6 had 3.45 LSD. Defiantly go the 3.27 and a minimum.

Another thing handy to know before you start is. The sump will foul on the front sway bar. Best bet is to remove it before you try to drop the motor in. with some minor alterations to the sway bar mounts it can be re-fitted later. Best thing to use os XE mounts/brackets. (You’ll see why after taking a closer look at both items) Overall the bar needs to be lowered about 25mm.

I overcame the f#*^ing s#*t stering box problem by getting an engineer to fit an EL steering rack fitted with VN commodore rack ends. Works an absolute teat. Cost about $280 for a recoed rack fitted with new VN ends and about $400 for the engineer to fit and certify. Then I ran a EL steering column……….

But none or this is necessary for the AU conversion.

#11 ·
The steering is one of this things highlights! Driving this thing around, my mate/myself are going to give up our gym memberships! In all seriousness, I normally play with other kinds of cars, and place good steering in fairly high regard. Falcons (any model!) have generally managed to impress me as having some of the WORST steering of anything on our roads. The combination of XF suspension, recirculating turd steering, column shift manual and the 250 carb'd engine certainly make for an entertaining drive!

Anyway, enough Ford bagging... Thanks for the help so far guys, if anyone else has got any more, keep it coming! I'll let you know how it goes when I get started.

#12 ·
Well, I guess I made a start on it today - fitted an EB wagon diff, tailshaft and master cylinder, all bolted straight up. Only thing I had to alter was the handbrake cables, which wasn't exactly hard to do anyway. I've got an LSD and some 3.7 gears kicking around to stuff in there at some stage, too.

While I was at it I stuck in some lowering blocks on the back, which gives it the classic XD-with-worms look. Sexy!

Anyway, my mate was wondering if his old EB adjustable steering column, seats and gauge cluster would fit, and if so, how hard it would be. As I said, I've got no idea about Fords, so anyone care to suggest that it's not a great idea? (saves me having to go over to his place and look!)

#13 ·
The seats will bolt strait in but also use the EB seat belts and use EA bolts to bolt the seats to the floor. The steering column will bolt in but the bottom of the column will not bolt to the XF box. If your mate just wants an adjustable column get any one out of an XF floor shift they’re all adjustable.

Any further progress on the project?

#14 ·
Ahh, so the XF columns are adjustable? The column shift has gotta go anyway - I put the wheel out of the EB in yesterday, he thinks it feels a tad, er, strange with a column shift! (for whatever reason, he is in LOVE with that wheel)
As for the rest of the job, well he's trying to sort out his finances at the moment (seems to happen with every car I touch for somebody!), so that may put some of it on hold for a few weeks. What I'm wondering is, if I buy a T5 'kit' (bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, etc.) and stick it on the 250, how much of it will fit the OHC motors? (seems that so far with these falcons, every falcon part fits every model falcon, or something...)

Anyone got any news on the EB gauge panel?

#15 ·
Yeap XF columns are adjustable. All that are not column shift.

As Far as I know if you were to buy a T5 “kit” for a 250 motor then it really wont fit (bellhousing) and isn’t suitable for the OHC motor. Your best bet is to wait and buy a T5 kit for an E series falcon. You could do the floor shift auto conversion for the short term all the parts you need are in XD – XE Tbar autos. And some of these parts you need for the eventual T5 conversion anyway.

As for the instrument cluster think it will fit. I would strongly recommend you adapt an E series cluster for the conversion you are attempting. If you want one with a taco in it you need an EF onwards instrument cluster. As in EF – AUs the ECU drives the taco. This will also aid you enormously with things like the fuel gauge etc. If you were to go down this track then I would recommend using an XG fuel tank factory in-tank pump and sender unit. Again this would all bolt straight up and make life a lot easier for you.

In terms of finances advise your friend if he wants a good reliable finished product the conversion being attempted is not cheap even with all parts purchased second hand. I would estimate the a conversion such as this would cost around 5-6k not allowing for anything spent on interior, chassis, suspension, wheels/tyres etc.

I’ve spent nearly $25 000 on my Ute but its been fully rebuilt from the ground up nearly every wearing part has been replaced. It has also had an EL motor conversion done and many other modifications.

Keep us posted……….

#16 ·
I've always wanted a car with an inbuilt taco. Yum! (sorry, couldn't resist....)

Basically what I was concerned with was whether the cluster will physically fit easily, we already have an EB XR cluster, and I'll nut out the wiring without too much trouble when I need to. Essentially I guess it's a matter of sticking as many parts of his old EB into the XF as possible, may even end up rebuilding the motor out of it and shoving it in rather than the AU engine.

Yes, project cars are not cheap... I won't mention for now how much some of my projects have blown out by!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.