Ford Forums banner

1966 Galaxie Brake Sourcing Problems (Urgent)

5K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Butchart 
#1 ·
Ok i have a problem
Im having some brake problems in my 66 Galaxie here in Aust, so i parked it on the path in front of my house, and took all the brake parts out and took it to my nearest Repco store for replacements. But it turns out that Repco have no listings for Galaxies, so im sort of stuck.
It turns out the galaxies pads are similar to the XY falcon stuff, but bigger.
I was told that i would most probably have to get the parts from Ford, or from the US.

What I need is the following:
- Front rotors (The measurements for the rotor are – Diameter = ~295mm, Width(currently) = ~30mm, Total height = ~115mm)
- Front pads (Bendix S776 are similar in design, but slightly smaller then what I have now)
- Front wheel bearings
- Rear Drum pads (The drum is 11” x 2.5”, the shoe was 11” x 2.25” with the same design as the N1271)
- Rear drum wheel cylinder (The repco bloke got a wheel cylinder for an XY, and the mounting holes were slightly bigger in his then mine)
- Front Caliper rebuild kit, if possible (The callipers I believe are Kelsey Hayes, due to the pad design being similar to the S776(which goes on the XY Kelsey Hayes calliper)
- Rear drum spring kit

Its rather urgent because the car shouldnt be on the path and i may get in trouble for it. I willing to buy the parts from the US if im assured they are what i need.

I have photoed the parts i need, and you can view those here : http://au.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kennedaymatt/album?.dir=/3219

Im also after photos, diagrams, etc.

Im contactable at kennedaymr@iinet.net.au .

Any help much appreciated.

Matthew

See less See more
#2 ·
Australian 1966 Galaxie Models never came from the factory with Disc Brakes as far as I know.I think they were available here from 1967 to 1972?? Someone has possibly fitted these to your Car or have retrofitted something else off another Model Ford etc?? I am unable to verify what you have as I do not know what Galaxie Disc set ups look like??? I will Post more info Tomorrow for you.

#3 ·
Yeah i bought the car this time last year, and i remember him saying the brakes were put in by the previous owner, i just assumed they are 66 galaxie brakes, they mustnt be then.

#4 ·
You better try some different Auto Parts Stores. Those rear wheel cylinders are pretty much a standard, they will fit other years too. My 63 Ford wheel cylinders will fit the back plates of my 88 Ford truck, only diff is the bore size. So from there you should try some different years of full size Fords, even back to the late fifities early sixties, the wheel cyclinders are all the same. If the bore is a 1/64" over or under it will not make that much difference for braking as long as it fits the back plate. Same with drums, 1965 and up Galaxies had the same drum sizes. 11 x 2-1/4" but sometimes 11 x 2-1/2" will fit too. Brake shoes are the same for years on Fords, only the width size. Hell I got 1963 2-1/2" brake shoes on the back of my 88 truck. These parts people do not seem to give a damn about the old cars and won't take the time to try other venues. One last thing, try your local Ford dealer, if you got a good old parts guy they just might be able to help you out. Even other Ford products like T-Bird, Mercury, all take basically the same brake system, and many of the parts a very interchangeable.

#5 ·
My Brother took his 1965 Galaxie Brake Shoes and Wheel Cylinders to a place called Highway Clutch and Brake ,187-189 Barry Rd Campbellfield,Victoria 3061.Phone:[03]9-357-0766. They rebonded new padding to his old shoes to the same standard and specifications of the original ones.They also put something like Stainless Steel Sleeves into his Wheel Cylinders and put kits through them and they lasted for a long time and are still going !!!

#6 ·
Butchart, that info is very helpful, but the main problem is that im in Australia....

Lukeh, ok, what did that cost though? And im also in WA so ill have to locate a place here, also what about the front pads and rotors? Also wheel bearings?

#7 ·
Sorry can't help you out on the front brakes. Wheel bearings....if its on the rear, they have to be pulled off with a press set up. Or sometimes you can heat up the inner race and with some light blows with a hammer they will move off, do same with retainer ring. New bearings should be pressed on. If its front wheel bearings, replace the bearing cups as well, they will tap out using a punch from the opposite side. There is a small indent where you can set the punch on the bearing cup. Installing you should have a piece of pipe that will just fit the inside of the hub and start the new cup with very light taps evenly until seated. If you are unsure of your abilities, then by all means take it to a reputable shop. Now, if you are buying wheel bearings, go to a bearing company, and take the old bearings with you so they can cross reference on the numbers. A bearing co. that deals with bearings and seals will be a lot cheaper in price than auto parts depots. I don't know how big a city Perth is, but there should be some place you can get the parts ordered thru.....I guess we are very lucky living here in Canada and the U.S., man we can get just about anything mechanically we need here for our vehicles, if its not stocked by the local supplier, they usually have it here the next day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.