Ford Forums banner

What timing on 351 ?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  73falcongt 
#1 ·
Hey Guys...New to Forum...Just bought 72 Mach I FB, 351 Clev. Need to set the timing. Help!

#4 ·
Mach I Red said:
Sorry about the question....need to know settings?
If its stock, try 10 degrees or a tad more, but make sure it still starts easily and doesnt ping under load. The other thing to do is check the total timing and make sure it doesnt go too high. 36 or so is good, and even some more on a std cammed motor is ok. I still like as high as i can on initial. My initial is 20 degrees and limited to 36 on total(soon to be 30-32), but i have a solid cam/alloy heads ect. If you went 20 degrees, your total could be up near 55 which is bad news for motors.

#5 ·
hey xd clevo, how do you limit your total timing. Like you said you have yours set earlier at -20deg. but you limited it to 36 how do you do that? Also does anyone know why the car is hard to start the earlier initial timing you set.

#6 ·
73falcongt said:
hey xd clevo, how do you limit your total timing. Like you said you have yours set earlier at -20deg. but you limited it to 36 how do you do that? Also does anyone know why the car is hard to start the earlier initial timing you set.
I sent mine to a shop in Melbourne and they set it up for the 2v openchamber heads i had at the time. From what i understand, they use a mechanical "stop" that limits it advancing any further than where they set it.
I now want to try about 30 total for the alloy heads, but it will bring the initial down to 14, so i assume the shop will change the stop back 6 degrees.

#7 ·
Sweet, I wonder if you can do that yourself, or if you can do it with vacuum advance dizzy's as the only one's I've had experience with, or have in my cars are them types.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.