Ford Forums banner

XD runs 10.29 @ 132mph with 310rwkw

7K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  azza 
#1 ·
No, not my XD but now that I have your attention. Did u see the latest Performance Ford Mag with the story on the HSVETR plated XD running 383, C10 & 4.33 gears in full street trim to run 10's.

It has an Ohio crank & rods, SVO heads, roller cam, Victor style Yates manifold with 950 Holley ultra and custom 2" headers into 3.5 collectors. Only runs 8.5" rears with Bridgestones. They don't give anything away on the specs. Lots of pics and it squats real nice on launch!

What is an Ohio crank? Also what is that manifold?

#2 ·
A very tough looking XD but with a pass like that he is surely worthy of that number plate he has! Just Only if someone could bring down the 9sec one tonner ute FPV-ETR and put him in his place lol.

By the way Shaynet is there any other interesting articles on this issue of performance ford mag?

#3 ·
KNG-40L said:
A very tough looking XD but with a pass like that he is surely worthy of that number plate he has! Just Only if someone could bring down the 9sec one tonner ute FPV-ETR and put him in his place lol.

By the way Shaynet is there any other interesting articles on this issue of performance ford mag?
As usual there is a good mix of new & old cars, 6's & 8's, Windsors & Clevos. Lots of XD's in the drag section!

V8 Perana Capri, XRChicks' BA ute, F6 roadtest, BA 2dr Coupe. Good value. It won't be on the stands for few a days though (I subscribe)

What about those parts, anyone?

#4 ·
So now you have something to aim at.........

#9 ·
shaynet said:
Enlighten us if you know the car. What tyres/size does it run at the drags?
The car runs slicks with a off the shelf fuel aswell.Size tyre i am unsure of but it defanately runs slicks.U would be mad to run a street tyre under that car anyway.

#10 ·
FPVGT said:
The car runs slicks with a off the shelf fuel aswell.Size tyre i am unsure of but it defanately runs slicks.U would be mad to run a street tyre under that car anyway.
The article says the car is not tubbed (pristine Fairmont with genuine 75000klms) and runs 8.5" Bridgestones on Convoy Pro rims. These are obviously for the street in light of your comments.

Does anybody know what size slicks it runs at the track?

This is a mighty impressive car but the article says its hardly street friendly with 4.33 gears and 5500rpm converter. (BBE Automatics built the C10, FYI Brenx)

Other XD / XE's worthy of note are:-

VIC Dion Amato XE ESP 351 10.89 @ 129 on street tyres & full exhaust!
TAS Dean Rowe XD 351 10.72 @ 128
WA Ryan Moresby XD 351 11.05 @ 119

The last 3 cars are only 351 not 383. Go the XD's!!!!!!!!

#11 ·
shaynet said:
The article says the car is not tubbed (pristine Fairmont with genuine 75000klms) and runs 8.5" Bridgestones on Convoy Pro rims. These are obviously for the street in light of your comments.

This is a mighty impressive car but the article says its hardly street friendly with 4.33 gears and 5500rpm converter. (BBE Automatics built the C10, FYI Brenx)

Interesting how it runs a C series box without any failures :shh: Next time i'm out i'll have a look.

#12 ·
The article also says "Unlike many others, Chris (the owner) hasn't followed the crowd and fitted a GM Powerglide. After all, this is a streeter, meaning 3 gears are definately better than two and besides, he's dedicated to having an all Ford vehicle to play with. Backing the tuff Clevo is a C10 transmission which was beefed up and pieced together by BBE Automatics." Unquote.

Could this be directed at brenx? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#13 ·
"Street" car is a loose term. I saw it towed to a dyno day, idle was loud as hell and it didn't seem very driveable.

Had a chuckle when I read about the owner saying that some street cars have nothing more than plates. A mate and I made the same comment when we saw it!

No disrespect to the owner of course, I loved the thing, sounds tough and looks great.

#14 ·
shaynet said:
The article also says "Unlike many others, Chris (the owner) hasn't followed the crowd and fitted a GM Powerglide. After all, this is a streeter, meaning 3 gears are definately better than two and besides, he's dedicated to having an all Ford vehicle to play with. Backing the tuff Clevo is a C10 transmission which was beefed up and pieced together by BBE Automatics." Unquote.

Could this be directed at brenx? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'd like to see how many street k's alleged tuff C4's actually do. Holding up to powers one thing and doing street k's is another. I know of plenty of C4's behind high hp cars. They just ain't in there very long before having clutches etc refreshed. What do I call a reasonable about of time? 70,000-100,000k's. In years that's about 5-6 years for me ;) For most others I'd guess thats about 10+ years.

BBE do a decent C4 and have a transmission dyno. I met people who've blown their BBE auto's though. :whoaa:

I took the XB to work today. It's back to it's normal duties. It has been driven 4 out of 7 days this week. Bit of a drive Friday/Sat, had a dyno day on Sunday and cruised today. It's fun when someone pulls up in the shaft lane thinking it's only a slow car in the right lane. They stop and see the XB. :driver:

#15 ·
Didn't doubt for a minute brenx that you wouldn't know of BBE or any other tough auto builders. I know you have gone your path for various reasons ( the main one being that you would like to be around a bit longer) and decided on the "Glide" after taking all things, including future plans no doubt, into consideration

Yeah, once a car is capable of 10's it is hardly going to be genuinely streetable. That's why I will be happy just to get into the 11's

#17 ·
brenx said:
hehe yeah damn 11's aint that easy but hell it's only money ;) There's quite a few users on these forums that I think will run in the 11's within the year.
Yes, agree. With mediums like this for info sharing it will all happen faster than it otherwise would.

Haven't had the ESP to the track yet and won't get there anytime soon. A holiday is next on the agenda in July so I will be missing for a few weeks. Saving for a manifold and some tyres before I take it there. If I can run a 12 something after some sorting with tyre pressures etc I will be one happy chappy

#18 ·
shaynet said:
Yeah, once a car is capable of 10's it is hardly going to be genuinely streetable. That's why I will be happy just to get into the 11's
That is actually my current goal - to run solid 10's in 100% legal and drivable street trim. I don't even want to lift the bonnet, and be able to go for a pink slip straight after.

The car has already done it, but was far from legal (slicks, no pipes, a pig to drive on the street etc) Its now nice and streetable now.

On paper it should do it easly, but it hasn't happened yet.

#19 ·
Racer said:
That is actually my current goal - to run solid 10's in 100% legal and drivable street trim. I don't even want to lift the bonnet, and be able to go for a pink slip straight after.

The car has already done it, but was far from legal (slicks, no pipes, a pig to drive on the street etc) Its now nice and streetable now.

On paper it should do it easly, but it hasn't happened yet.
To do this I think you need bucket loads of torque and work on the principles used by workhorse. In other words you can't have a real angry motor for it to be streetable and revving its tits off at 90-100kph.

What does one need to achieve this? A roller cam and small port heads with high air speed? And gearing no higher than say, 3.9?

#20 ·
shaynet said:
To do this I think you need bucket loads of torque and work on the principles used by workhorse. In other words you can't have a real angry motor for it to be streetable and revving its tits off at 90-100kph.

What does one need to achieve this? A roller cam and small port heads with high air speed? And gearing no higher than say, 3.9?
You need a lot of everything. Tens are very very fast!

#21 ·
shaynet said:

I know mines stroked to 408 but can i add mine to the list
WA Peter Hines XD 351/408w (330rwkw) 10.83 @ 123mph in full street trim except the slicks, on pump fuel didnt open the bonnet once while we were there with plenty more to come. Go the strokers as well :p

#22 ·
XD408 said:
I know mines stroked to 408 but can i add mine to the list
WA Peter Hines XD 351/408w (330rwkw) 10.83 @ 123mph in full street trim except the slicks, on pump fuel didnt open the bonnet once while we were there with plenty more to come. Go the strokers as well :p
Well done XD408, thats a very impressive time!

Incidently your RWKW sounds about right to me. The one in the article
figures around 390-400rwkw / 665fwhp, which by my estimation is just about spot on.

#23 ·
brenx said:
I'd like to see how many street k's alleged tuff C4's actually do. Holding up to powers one thing and doing street k's is another. I know of plenty of C4's behind high hp cars. They just ain't in there very long before having clutches etc refreshed. What do I call a reasonable about of time? 70,000-100,000k's. In years that's about 5-6 years for me ;) For most others I'd guess thats about 10+ years.

BBE do a decent C4 and have a transmission dyno. I met people who've blown their BBE auto's though. :whoaa:

I took the XB to work today. It's back to it's normal duties. It has been driven 4 out of 7 days this week. Bit of a drive Friday/Sat, had a dyno day on Sunday and cruised today. It's fun when someone pulls up in the shaft lane thinking it's only a slow car in the right lane. They stop and see the XB. :driver:

Well Brenx if you want to keep a tally of c4 add this to the score. My c4 has been in 3 differant cars with 4 differant engines. It has been used in my daily driver/tow car which towed race cars to ravenswood in the old days and is now used in my wagon which runs 11.30's@117mph. The only things changed have been oil,converters and valve bodies. It had done over 140000k before i started drag racing seriously and has now done 3 seasons with no problems. I did have a problem with a sticky governer after i rebuilt it but i fixed that in an hour without taking the box out.

This box handled 11.6's in a car that weighed 3800lbs race weight.It has to be at least 8 years old and just as a precaution it will be removed and inspected during this winter

Regards

John

#24 ·
People need to make use of the power they have both through the way they drive and their combo. You hear about people with almost 50% more power than that guy who only manage 12's etc.

#25 ·
Racer said:
Well done XD408, thats a very impressive time!

Incidently your RWKW sounds about right to me. The one in the article
figures around 390-400rwkw / 665fwhp, which by my estimation is just about spot on.
yeh thats what i figured with the mph he's running would have to be over 600hp and 500+ at the treads (hp not kw). Im just in the progress now of adding the roll cage and ladder bar suspension, as well as the new camshaft (old cam, 248/254 @50 670thou 110* lobe sep. and the new is 265/274 @50 780thou 108* lobe sep.) and upping the compression from 11.1 to 12.5.1 to run avgas or similar octane fuel. Plus adding a rocker girdle, HPC coating extractors, strange carrier and billet yoke :) just wanted to know what sort of HP u guys reckon i should gain from this and also 1/4 mile gains. Were hoping for a possible high 9 sec pass or ultra low 10's with 650ish fwhp 530rwhp???? any guesses
p.s. sorry to high jack ur thread shaynet:p

#26 ·
When you hit 10's, it become expotentially harder to drop your ET's. With those mods, i would predict low 10's.
I'm actually gob smacked that you are running your existing times with such a tame cam. You have obviously struck that elusive "magic combination"!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.