Ford Forums banner

Is this a fair price?

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  grey_esp 
#1 ·
Acid batch, bore and deck sqaure block
Supply and install cam bearing
remove and replace Pistons with Hypertecs and Chrome moly rings (set ring gaps)
Supply and fit Arp rod bolts
Resize and balance rods
Balance crank, balancer and flex plate
Dummy assemble to check clearences
$1500-????

#2 ·
That's pretty much everything rebuild isn't it?

Not much else needs doing apart from a hone and cam and head work, yeah?

Saying that i've been quoted a bit more than $1500 for a full rebuild of a 250 with the ACL Race series kit, including acid bath, torque plate bore and hone, new oil and water pumps, cleaning up the head, assembly, cleaning, painting, etc.

Two more cylinders shouldn't cost that much more would it?

#4 ·
hmm seems a bit much then, but i don't know how much those hypertecs, rings and the ARP studs are worth.

often brands seem to make a hell of a difference when it comes to price - not sure about the performance / reliability differences though

#5 ·
grey_esp said:
Acid batch, bore and deck sqaure block
Supply and install cam bearing
remove and replace Pistons with Hypertecs and Chrome moly rings (set ring gaps)
Supply and fit Arp rod bolts
Resize and balance rods
Balance crank, balancer and flex plate
Dummy assemble to check clearences
$1500-????
Thats extremely cheap. I usually pay more than that in machining and balancing costs alone.

Then again, its not cheap if its not done right.

#6 ·
Racer said:
Thats extremely cheap. I usually pay more than that in machining and balancing costs alone.

Then again, its not cheap if its not done right.
I've heard plenty of stories of huge strokers being built up going well over $25k for a street 378, and the guy did all the labour himself

or sr20s (just the engine too) going into the 10's of thousands, so how come this guy i know can offer a total (near stock) build for under $2k plus warranty when you'd pay over a grand for machining?

And he's work is done to a very high standard as well

#7 ·
I have had work done through here before, but not on a clevo. He has a good rep and and I have had no probs with his work previously.
I assembled the other engines my self, as Im planning to do with this one. Labour is expencive so By doing the intencive jobs myself IE. cleaning parts, and bolting it all together it makes a new motor alot more afordable.

So you think if Im comfortable with the quality of workman ship than this is a good price?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.