Ford Forums banner

Cheapest places to buy 393 or 408 stroker kits from

38K views 69 replies 16 participants last post by  crochunter 
#1 ·
Most of the kits come with forged 4340 crank,scat h beam rods and probe forged pistons. VPW sell them for $2435. Can you get them any cheaper than this.

#2 ·
That is cheap. I've just had a quote given for a 393 or 408 in a cleveland block. It aint cheap. $6900 no oil pump or sump (I'll need the oil pump but I already have two HV sumps.) With some head testing and possibly tidying if necessary. Thats the plan for mine. Stroke the bastard!

#8 ·
crochunter said:
Most of the kits come with forged 4340 crank,scat h beam rods and probe forged pistons. VPW sell them for $2435. Can you get them any cheaper than this.
That's pretty cheap. Are the Probe pistons hypers or proper forgies? Most good forgies will cost over $1000 per set.
I paid $1350 for Scat 4340 crank, $628 for Scat H-beam 6" rods & $1140 for Arais forged pistons.
Don't cut corners on quality, it'll come back & bite you on the arse! Mal.

#10 ·
I've been browsing too.

This mob in SA are selling 393C stroker kits "on special"...........knowing that we're not after cheap parts...........they haven't posted prices, but I'm waiting for an email response.

http://www.ogspeedshop.com.au/specials1.htm

Their kit is a SCAT 9000 light weight crank (cast), SCAT 4340 H-Beam rods & SRP forged pistons, plus all the other bits (bearings, gaskits etc).

#12 ·
brenx said:
Something that will be happening with mine is, I'll be running full floating pistons. This should lessen the wear and tear and give me some more engine life expectancy.
I was out at CHI today talking to John. A customer just finished a 393 with 218's..............the results...........

an "easy" cool 600fwhp :hy:

#13 ·
TruBlu351 said:
I was out at CHI today talking to John. A customer just finished a 393 with 218's..............the results...........

an "easy" cool 600fwhp :hy:
:priest: already knew that. It will be fun. Good to hear you popped in to CHI to check out things for yourself. I've seen some damn nice results with the 218cc heads. My thoughts? "I got to have me some of that!"

#17 ·
xdclevo said:
How does full floating pistons lessen wear?
A normal piston is just pushed and pulled where ever the rod/gudeon pin takes it. The full floater floats on the gudeon pin which means it won't have more force on one side of the piston than the either. It'll be more even pressure.

Also allows for a freer reving engine.

#19 ·
tony xa said:
Any more info avail on this engine
Stroker bottom end to 393C (exact parts unsure) .

CHI 3V's with 218cc inlet ports and matching CHI manifold.

Unsure of carby & exhaust, but healthy would be the word....big set of 4:1 pacemakers and big 4 barrel carb.

I'm sure its running just a solid flat tappet (not roller). John showed me a Comp Cams spec that I think was the same or similar. Possibly one like this....

http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Search/CamDetails.asp?PartNumber=32-240-4

About .648" lift on cam & exhaust and 260* durn @ 0.050.

No rocket science......just good parts combined well.........oh, and a few $$ ;)

#21 ·
Here's the current 351C Comp Cams cam list. Seems he may have had an older catalogue because I can't find the one with the same specs that he showed me.

http://www.compcams.com/Technical/CurrentCatalog/HTML/92-97.asp

Look at the Magnum mechanical flat tappet section.

John also gave me the cam specs he uses on his Engine Masters engines. They are from Crow Cams just around the corner from the CHI factory.

He runs a "238" and a "242" cam. Both run great HP (mid to high 500's) and are well suited to the 3V's.

"238" =
Lift: I .607 E .618 Durn @ 0.050: I 238* E 242*

"242" =
Lift: I .624 E .635 Durn @ 0.050: I 242* E 248*

#22 ·
OG speedshop just replied and here's their response to a 393C stroker kit special.

FORD 351C to 393C STROKER KIT $2485.00

KIT INCLUDES

.SCAT Series 9000 Pro Comp Lightweight Cast Crank
.SCAT 4340 Forged H-Beam Conrods with 7/16 ARP Bolts
.SRP + .030 Flat Top Forged Pistons
.HASTINGS Powereflex Plasma Moly Rings
.KING Rod & Main Bearings
.DURABOND l piece Cam Bearings
.FELPRO Full Gasket Set

Regards Len

#23 ·
TruBlu351 said:
Here's the current 351C Comp Cams cam list. Seems he may have had an older catalogue because I can't find the one with the same specs that he showed me.

http://www.compcams.com/Technical/CurrentCatalog/HTML/92-97.asp

Look at the Magnum mechanical flat tappet section.

John also gave me the cam specs he uses on his Engine Masters engines. They are from Crow Cams just around the corner from the CHI factory.

He runs a "238" and a "242" cam. Both run great HP (mid to high 500's) and are well suited to the 3V's.

"238" =
Lift: I .607 E .618 Durn @ 0.050: I 238* E 242*

"242" =
Lift: I .624 E .635 Durn @ 0.050: I 242* E 248*
If I get the opportunity? I might be testing the 242 EM cam in my engine. It'd be interesting to see how it'd go. As I have all the engine dyno data for a 351 with that cam here.

#25 ·
brenx said:
If I get the opportunity? I might be testing the 242 EM cam in my engine. It'd be interesting to see how it'd go. As I have all the engine dyno data for a 351 with that cam here.
She'd boot along I'm sure!

John said if I was going a stroker later on to just wack in that 260* monster comp cams grind now to save buying extra cams later.....all great in theory, but my hypereutectics would explode.....and it would just be a ticking time bomb. With the manual and low diff gears and a vacuum can installed it should be OK to moderately street around on.

But, it looks like a "conservative" planned approach until the bottom end gets redone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.