Ford Forums banner

XR6T - New 6 spd auto ??

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  RST2000 
#1 ·
Hi all,
just new to the forum but have found it very informative. I am currently living in Switzerland but returning in a few months time. I will be purchasing a new XR6T upon my return but have had all sorts of troubles trying to get an answer from ford dealers regards due dates for the talked about 6 speed auto's. Anyone got some confirmed info about this ? :rockon:

#4 ·
orrie said:
Thanks,
I think I'll wait then. I was already to sign on the dotted line for the manual but might delay for the auto. (and change dealers as well).

Any ideas on pricing ?
The 6 speed manual's a sweet thing, the auto will be absolutely fantastic no doubt. As for pricing, apart from the usual 1%-2% price rise on the current model, expect a premium to be charged on the auto option over the manual. I don't know this for sure but I would expect it.

#6 ·
MCHLUV said:
if i was you, i'd get the manual, way more fun!! hehe, october, so your in line for the mk3? should be very nice!
To tell you the truth I had not really thought about the possibility of a Mk3 if I still go for the manual. Being O/S I am a little behind with all the local news and updates anyway. But thanks for the reminder, I must check with my dealer and see that he is not giving me the shortend of the stick. Having said all that, I would like to have the car ready for October 1st, when I get back.

PS the hand brake is getting a territory Ghia at the same time, from the same dealer so he should be looking after me !!

He did give us a good price though I think.

MCHLUV, you are also sooooo right about the manual .. more fun by far !! But I was thinking about resale a bit. What are holding their values better these days the manauls or the auto's ? I feel a bit handicapped buying from O/S but I can't wait for a bit of local made turbo rush !!

#7 ·
orrie said:
To tell you the truth I had not really thought about the possibility of a Mk3 if I still go for the manual. Being O/S I am a little behind with all the local news and updates anyway. But thanks for the reminder, I must check with my dealer and see that he is not giving me the shortend of the stick. Having said all that, I would like to have the car ready for October 1st, when I get back.

PS the hand brake is getting a territory Ghia at the same time, from the same dealer so he should be looking after me !!

He did give us a good price though I think.

MCHLUV, you are also sooooo right about the manual .. more fun by far !! But I was thinking about resale a bit. What are holding their values better these days the manauls or the auto's ? I feel a bit handicapped buying from O/S but I can't wait for a bit of local made turbo rush !!
From what I've heard the 6 Speed autos are going into the FPV Range. Not sure, just what I've heard

#8 ·
not sure if the mk3's gonna be ready by the 1st of oct, even if they aren't i'd wait for one!!! could save you time in the long run! though the mk2's are great, i got one!
in terms of manual or auto. i'm not sure, i always thought people that liked performance cars preferred manual, though after joining this forum my thinking has changed......... mines a ute, so i know in an auto it would be almost impossible to sell!!

all in all theres nothing quiet like stampin on the clutch and switching second to third so quick ur mate looks at you like your his new god!! hehe and then stopping at the next set of like to give the guy you in the nissan import that just wiped the floor with a tissue!! hehe ..................then u pat ur dash and say there's a good girl! :hy: :driver: :priest:

#9 ·
I FOUND THIS AT LS1.COM.

a forum members driving impression of new6speed auto..

Originally Posted by COUPE
Interesting ... you must work for Ford then? ... What in your opinion feels quicker? the M6 or A6? ... Also let us all know what you think about the A6 in the 8.

hi Coupe,

No i don't work there, just have good contacts

I haven't driven the 6spd manual, just the 5spd MKI XR8, so can't really provide a reasonable comparison between any of hte cars, mainly because these new cars i've driven lately have all been in the wet/slippery conditions, not the best for determining how hard these performance cars can go.

I just peeled my arse out of the 6spd auto XR8, slippery to wet conditions tonight, not allowed to disable traction control (not that you'd really want to in these conditions though), clocked up almost 200k's, giving it the full boot wherever possible, but not speeding...

The thing is a great car to drive, impossible to compare to the turbo Ute we had simply because the conditions outlined above and not being able to fully push it.

We took it to some nice bits of blacktop, for the melbourne people, we drove up around yarra boulevard, sections of dry road where i was able to give it a good boot. Pushing it in 1st is almost impossible with traction control kicking in and fuel cutout/rev limiter occuring when the needle zooms up above 6000rpm, there's so much pull in this thing, with a viscious thrust above 4000rpm.

I really enjoyed the ride, very smooth and subtle on quality roads, but come the twisty and bumpy stuff, the car is very composed and planted, with hardly any noticable body role. I didn't really notice much push in the front when pushing through tight corners, but i'm sure that was because i wasn't pushing the car hard enough.

I've driven several variants with the 6spd auto, it's a great box, it just seems to get the best out of the engines with closer ratios for optimised power delivery through the gears. It's quick to shift in manual mode and pretty good in adaptive mode with some cool features for fuel saving.

What's faster, no idea, they both felt very powerful and quick, but until we get some better driving conditions, i couldn't make a decision.

The sound is damn nice in the XR8 though, first starts of with a roaring induction noise, then as revs go past 3500rpm where the engine really starts opening up, that rumble just takes over

Other than that, there really isn't mush else to report on, these mules look exactly like the current ones (apart from the new stick), so i suspect either the visual changes are minimal or just not revealed in these test cars. Mechaniclly, there may be other changes, but they aren't easily identified. I hear there are significant changes to suspension, ABS systems and so on.

fuel consumption - ~15L/100 on the trip (heavy heavy foot)
rpm'@100km/h in 6th - ~1,600

cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.