Ford Forums banner

Fpv’s F6 Gets More Six Appeal

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  RAVEN 
#1 ·
Ford Performance Vehicles has today confirmed it will wide its choice to customers with an optional six-speed automatic transmission available for the first time on the turbo-charged F6 Typhoon and F6 Tornado with the introduction of the new-look BF FPV range in October.

FPV will be the first Australian high-performance manufacturer to offer a six-speed automatic transmission. The state-of-the-art new ZF 6HP26 gearbox, which features multiple driving modes and a number of innovative driving and safety features, will be available as an option on all FPV models: the quad cam Boss 290 V8-powered GT, GT-P, Pursuit and Super Pursuit and the F6 Typhoon and F6 Tornado with the turbo-charged and intercooled F6 270 Turbo engine.

As was the case with the re-engineering of the Tremec T56 six-speed manual, the ZF six-speed automatic transmission has been tailored to suit the unique driving conditions and customer demands of the Australian high-performance vehicle market.

“The introduction of a world-class six-speed automatic specifically suited to our conditions continues to build on our credentials as creating high-performance vehicles using the very latest, class-leading technology,” said David Flint, Managing Director of Ford Performance Vehicles.

“I am positive this will be an outstanding success.”

Ford Performance Vehicles will release full details of its BF range at the Sydney Motor Show on October 13.

See less See more
#6 ·
long wheelbase, fairmont ghia, xr6t, xr8 and fpv get the 6-speed. the rest make-do with a revised 4-speed, although apparently the v8 xt, futura and fairmont get the ZF box too...

#7 ·
bobski said:
There'd be plenty out there that didn't buy a typhoon cause it wasn't an auto. I know, sounds crazy, but if I'd come home with a manual typhoon (after the debacle with the manual SP23), I'd be in the dog house.
What was wrong with the SP23? I am interested cause I just bought one, last week. My first choice would have been a 6 speed auto XR6 T any day, but I can't justify the extra cost, extra insurance and huge fuel bill.

#8 ·
xcgxl said:
What was wrong with the SP23? I am interested cause I just bought one, last week. My first choice would have been a 6 speed auto XR6 T any day, but I can't justify the extra cost, extra insurance and huge fuel bill.
The SP23 - I loved it. The missus didn't because she doesn't like manuals. She can drive one, just doesn't like it *shrug* - she pays half the bills... and I sorta like her :priest:.

The only problem I had with the SP23 hatch (and for this I'd look for the next mazda 3 model), is that it had a noisy ride (i've heard they're fixing this). Other than that, its the best small car I test drove and was terric fun in the twisties... Just a tad more power and it'd be there... That said, I'd look at the VW golf diesel too (different image though) and if your budget can stretch VW GTI (if you can stand those tartan seats).

On a side note, the insurance on my XR6T is the same as the SP23 ($800 per year, youngest nominated driver 23F, agreed value of $45k).

#9 ·
bobski said:
The SP23 - I loved it. The missus didn't because she doesn't like manuals. She can drive one, just doesn't like it *shrug* - she pays half the bills... and I sorta like her :priest:.

The only problem I had with the SP23 hatch (and for this I'd look for the next mazda 3 model), is that it had a noisy ride (i've heard they're fixing this). Other than that, its the best small car I test drove and was terric fun in the twisties... Just a tad more power and it'd be there... That said, I'd look at the VW golf diesel too (different image though) and if your budget can stretch VW GTI (if you can stand those tartan seats).

On a side note, the insurance on my XR6T is the same as the SP23 ($800 per year, youngest nominated driver 23F, agreed value of $45k).
They might have fixed the noisy ride already, mines a July '05 build fresh off boat, but my old Pulsar had noisy G grids, lol. Metro Sydney is real expensive for insurance. I thought any car with a Turbo was very expensive. I know a WRX is $2000 dearer then a normal Subaru cause I checked.

#10 ·
xcgxl said:
They might have fixed the noisy ride already, mines a July '05 build fresh off boat, but my old Pulsar had noisy G grids, lol. Metro Sydney is real expensive for insurance. I thought any car with a Turbo was very expensive. I know a WRX is $2000 dearer then a normal Subaru cause I checked.
Yep, I'm out in Penrith which is supposed to be way up there for car theft, but for some reason, the XR6T falls into a different bracket with insurance. I looked at insurance for a WRX and it was about $2500. Although, I decided that I didn't like it, went like stink, but it felt too small for the money I was going to lay out.... And I'm not sure that I'd like my fiance driving it around on her own in a WRX - too many F***wits in Sydney. At least with the XR6T I've debadged it and it just looks "John Howard".

I think the SP23 sedan is quieter than the hatch - however - if yours is only brand new - it might take 10000 k's under its belt before you notice it. I didn't buy mine brand new because I wanted one there and then (do you get the feeling I lose sensibility when I walk into a car yard?), so it may have been quieter when it was new. However, going from a pulsar to a 3 would be chalk and cheese too, so every drive to you might be like symphony orchestra playing in the background... :) But you could be right and they have fixed it (hopefully with no extra weight!).

One thing I was thinking about that I do really miss was the frugalness of the SP23. If I thrashed the living bejebus out of mine, it'd push 9.5 litres per 100kms, but driven fairly normally, returned mid 7's. Gosh I miss that! My trip computer now rarely gets below 15's :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.