Ford Forums banner

Trying to start 393

3K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  tony xa 
#1 ·
I have been trying to get the coupe started but no go .
I have crane hi-6 ignition with crane lx92 coil .The problem is I have no spark engine turns but no fire .The sparkie that wired it all up can't look at it for another week and I just won't wait that long if I don't have to.
The ignition box light will blink once and spike the monster tacho .
Has anyone had this problem or has anyone heard of this problem .
I would like to sort it asap as I have had the engine in the car for around 8 months and finaly got some time to get back to it and want to get as much done before time runs out again .
Thanks in advance

#3 ·
The hi-6 is okay we checked it out by disconecting the coil and the hi-6 light came on and stayed on like it is meant to so hopefully the coil is not wired proberly .
I will check this tomorrow as the car is at the shop .
Apart from the engine builder everyone else sucks at getting their work done correct first time .I am sure the hi-6 is connected to the battery as hes put a point in the car that everything connects to and then to the battery this was done to hide all the wirering

#4 ·
tony,how did you find bob campbell?. personally i have never used him before,ive used AA engineering or most of the times Performance mods in ozzy park who do real good work.I recently dealt with bob on a parts issue and he seemed real helpful.Seems to have realistic pricing as well on his machining.

#5 ·
russxr67 said:
tony,how did you find bob campbell?. personally i have never used him before,ive used AA engineering or most of the times Performance mods in ozzy park who do real good work.I recently dealt with bob on a parts issue and he seemed real helpful.Seems to have realistic pricing as well on his machining.
Yeah bob is great this engine is the first time I have used him and I will use him for everything high performance .His price on parts might be because he is good mates with chris mills and has been around racing for a very long time .Still does racing cars now last weekend one of his boys few to south oz to fix someones racecar . His work so far has been first class .
For someone that has been around fast cars and racing as long as bob has he still is very easy to deal with and talk to .Most people with only half of his past didn't give me the time of day .
I could go on forever on how good he is but I am sure after talking to him you would already get this feeling .
close enough is not good enough for bob only perfect

#7 ·
Dont you just luv it when something goes right!! at least it sounds like your engine builder is on the ball, Exact same thing has happened to me engine builder excellent, tranny builder excellent, diff guy slow but excellent workmanship and the auto electrican what a f@#$%*N dodo, complains about not having enough money but cant work until october cause he is too busy, i will have a tafe course done before then and do it myself,Any way sounds like a PHAT engine. Just read latest Extreme magazine and a safron colored xy is in there (10.5 at 130 2V 393) and i have new found inspiration.
AZZA

#9 ·
Na no kill switch .
It sucks there is always something the engine builder would have had the car back to me in one day which was alot faster than I expected and now this .
Tomorrow is another day and another coil will be tried .If that fails back to the start .

#10 ·
Make sure the light on your box is on when the key goes to start. The wire that goes to your "ignition" may be connected to an accessories line which is deactivated when you go to "start", in which case you'd unknowingly be switching it off.

Can't wait to hear the results!!

You have an immobiliser?

#11 ·
I have brought the car back home for now and will be going back to the sparkie on thursday .
I hope for his sake the cd unit isn't stuffed as he has cut the connectors off to use his own .The first instructions on the cover page clearly states warrenty void if these wires are cut .It looks like its going to be a wire wrong between the box and coil or the coil is stuffed .
I will find out on thursday so thanks for the help and I will post up the results once sorted .

#12 ·
tony xa said:
I have brought the car back home for now and will be going back to the sparkie on thursday .
I hope for his sake the cd unit isn't stuffed as he has cut the connectors off to use his own .The first instructions on the cover page clearly states warrenty void if these wires are cut .It looks like its going to be a wire wrong between the box and coil or the coil is stuffed .
I will find out on thursday so thanks for the help and I will post up the results once sorted .
I had a similar problem recently... it aint the coil... there are only two wires for this from the hi-6 and its really hard to stuff that up. Your problem is most likely at the dissy.

let me know what dissy your running and what color wires come out of the dissy? Also what color wires from the hi-6 are connected to the corresponding dissy wires.

#15 ·
tony xa said:
The dissy is billet msd I am not at home right now so I don't know what colour the wires are I will be home soon so I will look a post them up .
Thanks
OK, there will be 3 wires coming out of the dissy, [red-orange-black]-black is chassis ground (-).

The Hi-6 should be connected in the following way:

Orange & Black --> LX92 coil (+,-)
Heavy Red --> straight to (+)12V Battery
Heavy Black --> Chassis ground (-)
Red & White --> Red to Ignition +12V & Dissy[red], White to Dissy[orange]
Violet & Green --> Tape up.
Green --> Tacho

This should work.

I'm suspecting your sparky has used the Magnetic trigger cable, this is why you don't have spark.

Good luck!

#16 ·
I have a very big problem and it is one of my major hates in life .
I have been out trying to trace wires only to find he has only used red and black wires from his connector so every wire from the unit is black or red .No chance of tracing a thing ever .
NOT VERY HAPPY .My wife is going to take the car to the sparkies about ten minutes before I get there to ask if he cando the lot again and use the correct colours so if something goes wrong I can trace it myself .
I have to be able to work it out not just him

#17 ·
Don't know why he changed them. The instructions say not to lengthen the wires. Out of the box there should have been enough length. Your auto elec is pretty ordinary. I bet he doesn't even know what wires what ;)

#18 ·
tony xa said:
I have a very big problem and it is one of my major hates in life .
I have been out trying to trace wires only to find he has only used red and black wires from his connector so every wire from the unit is black or red .No chance of tracing a thing ever .
NOT VERY HAPPY .My wife is going to take the car to the sparkies about ten minutes before I get there to ask if he cando the lot again and use the correct colours so if something goes wrong I can trace it myself .
I have to be able to work it out not just him
Mate, i'd not ask, but 'tell' him to do it that way, especially if the Hi-6 is mounted a fair distance away. If he argues, i'd punch him in the teeth :argue2: It's no good if your about to run in a mech flat tappet, cranking with no spark! :doh:

#19 ·
I have no idea why he has done this and the worst thing is he was used because hes done alot of good cars in shows here in perth .
As for telling him and punching him if the answer is no.This is the reason that my wife is dealing with it because unfortunatly it would be roughly what would happen and thats not how it will get fixed .Only four people have worked on the car, sparkie not happy, panel and paint not happy, engine guy (bob cambell)over the moon with him and myself and there is not one thing I have done that needs to be done again (so far)
One day people are actually going to do the work they get paid for .
Thank god for bob cambell

#21 ·
benXaGt said:
Mate you should of asked me to come look at it!!!!!

Ive done my own one now like 3 times and i no the ins and outs of the electric ignitions.

btw he sounds dodgy snipping wires and stuff
The problem is that most sparkies know what they are doing as in what goes where and why so they just jump in and go .Someone that is not as confident would read the instructions first so alot of the things done would not have been done by someone that has read the instructions .
I have spoken to chris mills and as he said most if not all problems with these ignitions comes from auto sparkies due to this reason .

The problem will be one wire but god knows what one no spark should be the orange one or the red or white but thanks to all now being red its a little hard to trace with out cutting all the casing and pulling it all apart .
I just want to hear my engine

#22 ·
Hey Tony are you hiding all the wiring? Battery in the boot you no make it a show car aswell?

There are two wires that run to the coil of the original wiring loom. Only one of these is used when the new system is installed and the other one is cut of mabey he got the two mixed around which could make it not spark? thats the only thing i can think of because its all pretty strait forward with all the other wires.

#23 ·
All the wiring is hidden but the battery is still in the engine bay not enough room in the boot for the battery .
As for the old wiring it was completley taken out from the fuse box on .The problem would have been quite simple if the right coloured wires were used .
I hope things start to head in the right direction soon another summer without my car will kill me .Because of this I nearly brought another coupe but this one was 429 xb coupe .Luckly I stuffed up cause it would have been hard to the extra cash

#24 ·
tony xa said:
All the wiring is hidden but the battery is still in the engine bay not enough room in the boot for the battery .
As for the old wiring it was completley taken out from the fuse box on .The problem would have been quite simple if the right coloured wires were used .
I hope things start to head in the right direction soon another summer without my car will kill me .Because of this I nearly brought another coupe but this one was 429 xb coupe .Luckly I stuffed up cause it would have been hard to the extra cash

Ok that makes things just that little bit harder now doesnt it. That really sux i understand why you cant trace them now you really need a multimeter to find each wire and where they go to. Are the wires able to be disconnected from the fuse box?

Im sure you will have your car running before summer... Whats left to do on it now?

#25 ·
Wires can't be disconected they are soldered .
As for what still needs to be done.complete interior needs to go back in windows need to go back in, 3 link rearend needs to arrive be painted then fitted .Stereo needs to arrive and be installed in the boot fully boxed .Nitrous system needs to be fitted but not connected till next winter or after car is run in .Exhaust needs to be done from the extractors back (this is a cool system).Hopefully roll cage as well .wheels need to go on then change the front springs to suit rear ride hieght .Then after all that if the bonnet dosn't close I have to get a carbon fibre one made up .
Set backs seem to be the norm at the moment stereo was lost for 4 weeks now found but still another week away the wiring still waiting for the mufflers to arrive .

#26 ·
tony xa said:
Wires can't be disconected they are soldered .
As for what still needs to be done.complete interior needs to go back in windows need to go back in, 3 link rearend needs to arrive be painted then fitted .Stereo needs to arrive and be installed in the boot fully boxed .Nitrous system needs to be fitted but not connected till next winter or after car is run in .Exhaust needs to be done from the extractors back (this is a cool system).Hopefully roll cage as well .wheels need to go on then change the front springs to suit rear ride hieght .Then after all that if the bonnet dosn't close I have to get a carbon fibre one made up .
Set backs seem to be the norm at the moment stereo was lost for 4 weeks now found but still another week away the wiring still waiting for the mufflers to arrive .

Not much to do by the sounds of things (eyes roll into the back of my head) lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.