Ford Forums banner

Interchangable parts reference.

3K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Freshmeat 
#1 ·
I've got a 1994 Crown Victoria and I'm looking for options for part interchangablity. As you've probably noticed there isn't much of a supply for aftermarket parts for our cars. Does anyone know of other cars that use the same engine components as ours specifically superchargers, headers, cams, intakes ect. your standard upgrade performance parts. Please any lead or ideas would be killer!

#2 · (Edited)
XtraX said:
I've got a 1994 Crown Victoria and I'm looking for options for part interchangablity. As you've probably noticed there isn't much of a supply for aftermarket parts for our cars. Does anyone know of other cars that use the same engine components as ours specifically superchargers, headers, cams, intakes ect. your standard upgrade performance parts. Please any lead or ideas would be killer!
You have a non-PI 4.6L, so you can use any engine components from a 1996-1998 Mustang.

I'm not positive on the headers, but if you contact Hooker, I'm positive they have a header that fits- then, you get to say you have a set of Hookers in your ride. :hy:

The rest of the exhaust system is something to run custom, anyway. Order free-flowing cats and mufflers off eBay and have a muffler shop install them (be sure they warranty their labor).

Transmissions- You can use a shift kit from the same year Mustangs- easy install and they provide great results and dramatically improve the life of your tranny.

Suspension- get P-71 suspension parts. That's the Police Interceptor- I think they were upgrading suspensions back then, but don't hold me to that.

Rear-end: I don't believe in re-gearing, but if you want, you should have an 8.8, which will take any locker or gearset available... I'd say 3.73s or 4.10s if you're going to do it. I'd lean more toward 3.73s, but definitely do not go over 4.10s. Again, I'm not a believer in re-gearing.

As for wheels, you need aftermarket. Mustang wheels will fit with spacers/adapters, but that looks funky and it throws off your suspension geometry, resulting in bad alignments and awkward tire wear.

I'm pretty sure I'm on-hit with all that, as I am almost positive the CVs had the 4.6 in '94. If you have a 5.0, then you can use engine parts from the 1987-1993 Mustangs and any shift kit for an AOD or AODE, depending (should say on your transmission pan).

Check to be sure your intake opening is on the passenger side of the car. If it is, then you can run Mustang intakes. If not, then swap to Mustang intakes by relocating your battery and such, freeing up the space on the passenger side for your air tube and filter. BBK makes good intake manifolds, throttle bodies, MAFs, and elbows. I'd say start there (doing the exhaust first, of course), then find a set of used P.I. (Performance Improved) heads (don't bother with the 4v heads- too expensive to work on and it's WAY too much conversion from a 2v motor) from a '99+ Mustang and get them ported and polished. If you have the money, have them do a 3-angle valve job (5-angle isn't worth the price difference compared to the performance enhancement). You'll need larger injectors, fuel pump, and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator at some point in there. That should satisfy you. If not, Google for some supercharger companies and find out who makes a kit for a CV.

Does that help? Any more questions?

#4 ·
XtraX said:
I'm sorry it is a police interceptor. I forgot to mention that.
Okay. Re-read... I added a lot to the post. If you have the Interceptor, I'd say first project will be to get the transmission inspected or rebuilt and install a shift kit, to salvage what life is left. They get a lot of hard mileage (unless it was a Captain's unit), but a shift kit helps the transmission last a lot longer (especially under hard driving) without much discomfort in shifts at all. It only makes the shift noticeable- not painful.

Then, check your suspension to make sure it's in good shape. Order the free-flow cats and mufflers to fit on the stock pipes (I think they're dual 2 1/4") and have the muffler shop modify the stock piping to run an H-pipe with only two cats (I think there are three from the factory). That'd give it a great sound without being annoyingly loud. It's also the cheapest route and unless you plan to run a massive supercharger, it'll give you the best performance/price ratio.

#5 ·
Thanks for the help. I guess I'm into alot of $$$ to get where I want to be. I read an article on Budget performance using stock parts and from other models but same make to make a super car kind of thing. The guy made a 9 second Omni using stock chrysler parts. Cool but I guess the ford is a different story.
Thanks again.

#6 ·
XtraX said:
Thanks for the help. I guess I'm into alot of $$$ to get where I want to be. I read an article on Budget performance using stock parts and from other models but same make to make a super car kind of thing. The guy made a 9 second Omni using stock chrysler parts. Cool but I guess the ford is a different story.
Thanks again.
If you want to run a turbo, you can get a turbo kit for the 4.6 and it should fit just fine- I know of a guy running sub-11sec runs and all he had (on a 5.0/302) was the turbo, new injectors, slicks, and a transmission with 10" convertor and trans-brake. You can add a turbo before or after doing everything I listed above. Those motors can handle it just fine in stock form.

Start small. If you plan to build a bad ass car but don't have all the cheese, then yes- it will be very intimidating... but if you take it one step at a time, it's not too bad. You can do the entire exhaust (not including headers) for sub-$300. From there, start getting intake stuff. Cold air and new MAF (doesn't need to be at the same time), throttle body, intake elbow, and lower intake plenum. Take your time with it and you'll be able to enjoy each modification a lot more.

Go get a Haynes or Chilton manual and do the work yourself. I do almost everything with a 137-piece Craftsman hand tool set I bought for $100. You learn a lot about your car, so you have a better idea of what breaks when something does and you have the ability to say, "I installed..." and list off everything you've done.

If you hit snags, consult the manual (they're only $15-20 on eBay) and if you're still having trouble, post up about it here and we'll try to help you out.

#7 ·
If you want to add just a little more power(for free or next to it) then get a file and file out the extra metal in the mass air(being careful not to get crap in the sampling tube)then loose the snorkel in the air box that leads to the front of the car. This nearly doubles the airflow to the intake, which makes more power.Now if you want to spend just a few bucks then loose the front of the air box and go to the parts store and get a conical filter and then get a piece of metal tubing and a few plastic elbows and ditch the air intake tubing leading to the throttle body from behind the mass air sensor.Now make sure you drill holes for the vent tubes that hook into the air intake now, because if you dont it will not idle right.Also if it is a police car, leave the exhaust alone , they're stainless and are pretty freeflowing as they are. The computer will have no problem re-adjusting to the increased air flow.I did this to my mid year '92 police car and noticed a fairly descent increase in power. You're car is the same as mine if it is a '94.And it all cost about $20 total.Oh Yeah, I used elbows and 3" water pipe from Lowes hardware to do mine, instead of metal. That will be later when I can find some cheap stainless steel that I can have bent to fit.But for now it works just fine.

#11 ·
Yes... the early 4.6s were definitely not torque monsters, but they have tons of potential. I stil prefer my body style for the wagon. I don't like the CV design after mine until the 1999 model, when the edges got a little sharper.

The stock Interceptor exhaust may be mildly sufficient, but the aftermarket would be a lot better and stainless steel (as opposed to aluminized steel [which is nowhere near as good], for those who don't know the choices) mufflers can be had for pretty cheap. The problem is that there are two mufflers and two cats to buy.

I spent $950 to have my exhaust system installed and I kinda wish I had thought it through better, because I'm running freeflow cats ($$$ from the shop) and stage 2 Flowmasters ($$$ from the shop) and 2 1/2" piping. I could have had it done for MUCH cheaper (closer to $400) had I known then what I know now. When I install the 408W, I'll have long-tube headers and just have someone modify what I have to hook to those.

But back to the topic at hand... XtraX, what exactly do you hope to do with the car? Maybe we can give you ideas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.