Ford Forums banner

99 Windstar won't idle

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  tpapay 
#1 ·
I have a 99 Windstar with the 3.8 V6. It was leaking oil from the valve cover gaskets and the engine lite was always on. It also would die when it was idling, put in reverse, or you let your foot off the gas pedal. We drove it with 2 feet to keep it running. I read somewhere that the valve covers were the problem cause they let air in and made the engine run lean.

So I've changed the valve cover gaskets and air filter. It ran good for about a day then it went back to dying.

Also, it makes a rattling sound when you accelerate. It doesn't do it right after I service the engine, but in a day or two it starts again.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I have the same idling problem now & I am taking it to the dealership. How was yours fixed?

About the noise, we had the same problem a couple of years ago & a tune-up fixed it - plugs & wires. The guy at the service department said the baffles had cracked & wanted several hundered dollars to "fix it".

#3 ·
tpapay said:
I have the same idling problem now & I am taking it to the dealership. How was yours fixed?

About the noise, we had the same problem a couple of years ago & a tune-up fixed it - plugs & wires. The guy at the service department said the baffles had cracked & wanted several hundered dollars to "fix it".
I checked & the DPFE sensor was also replaced with the wires & plugs.

#4 ·
As noted, my windstar would not idle either, & I two-foot drove it to the closest dealer.

The recommendation is to replace the idle control valve/motor. $105 cost from the parts department + labor.

They also recommended carbon cleaning & fuel injector cleaning, but I'm a sceptic & will not pay the high cost for this "cleaning"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.