Ford Forums banner

door lock code, 98 explorer. HELP !

49K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  Khalid19933 
#1 ·
my friend has an 1998 ford explorer eddie bauer edition and it somes with the door unlock combination, but she never has used it and has no idea what the passcode is

request: could someone tell me where the numbers are located on the car, or if they are somewhere to be found.

i know on lincoln cars they put the numbers for the code on the trunk supports, but the explorer has no such thing.

#4 ·
revoltdeceased said:
my friend has an 1998 ford explorer eddie bauer edition and it somes with the door unlock combination, but she never has used it and has no idea what the passcode is

request: could someone tell me where the numbers are located on the car, or if they are somewhere to be found.

i know on lincoln cars they put the numbers for the code on the trunk supports, but the explorer has no such thing.
I have a 99' Ford Explorer XLT and i found my code in the trunck of the truck behind the plastic cover where your tire jack and wrench are!!!!! There will be two plastic knobs that you will have to turn to open and lift it off, real simple. The code will be on the fender wall, bring paper and pen to write and possibly a flash light so you can see the code clearly!!! Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 ·
Programming keyless entry codes (driver door panel keypad).

The computer module is located inside the same cargo area side storage panel that contains the jack. The 5 digit code taped to the computer module is the factory set code.

To erase any personal code set by the prior owner, use these steps:
1. Use the keypad to enter the factory set code.
2. Within five seconds, press the 7/8 and 9/0 buttons simultaneously.
3. The system will now respond only to the factory set code.

You can program your own personal code via these steps:
2. Within five seconds, press the 1/2 button
3. Within five seconds, begin entering your personal five digit code.
(Each subsequent keypress must be within five seconds of the previous)
4. The system will now respond to both your new personal code and the factory set code.
5. Put the factory set code you wrote down in a safe place. It will always open your door, and it won't do you any good if locked inside your vehicle.

If you have trouble, see the owners manual section "Controls and features" or the index for "Keyless Entry System".

Good luck!

#6 ·
I just bought a 98 Exlporer XLT with 9000 miles! Anyway, I was looking for the entry code and didn't know where the computer module was located. A quick Google search brought me here and this thread provided the solution. It literally took 2 minutes. I thank you for your contribution. Ain't the interweb great!?

rp

#9 ·
jjwwrr said:
:priest: Thank you for all your help. I have had a1997 Explorer for about 2 years and refuse to pay a dealer to tell me what the keyless code is. I found this site and found my code in less then 5 minutes. Thank you very much. :hy:
My local dealer was very helpful in finding the code. Climbed in the back with a flashlight, found the code, wrote it down for me on a business card and handed it to me. All for no charge. Your local dealer must really suck. :jester:

#10 ·
just in case.....................i tried to find my code n had a slight of trouble, come to find out that this code can also be found just above the wheel well, its attatched to a little white box, just in the front of it on a big white sticker, same area just a little bit different place..........hope this helps good luck!!

G
#11 ·
i have a 2000 mercury mountaineer, and have been trying to find the keyless entry code, but no such luck yet. i looked in the jack compartment in the rear, but could not find it. any other hints or ideas?? any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

G
#12 ·
Unregistered said:
i have a 2000 mercury mountaineer, and have been trying to find the keyless entry code, but no such luck yet. i looked in the jack compartment in the rear, but could not find it. any other hints or ideas?? any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I have a 2003 Mercury Mountaineer and I found mine on the steel side bar on the passengers side of the 2nd row of seats. Take the plastic cover off where the seatbelt is. Then, gently pull back the 2nd teir of plastic and you will see the remote security unit. On this unit will be a 5 digit code in bold. This is the master code and will ALWAYS work, even if a previous owner set their own personal code.

4. The system will now respond to both your new personal code and the factory set code.
5. Put the factory set code you wrote down in a safe place. It will always open your door, and it won't do you any good if locked inside your vehicle.

Hope this helps

G
#13 ·
Unregistered said:
help also i have a 2000 explorer sport and cann ot find the code thee is no white box in the compartment and the dealer couldnt find it there either said someone must have moved it i think he just cant find it hope some one can help me its cold outside looking for this thing help in michigan.

G
#15 ·
speedyex said:
I have a 99' Explorer XLT and i found my code in the trunck of the truck behind the plastic cover where your tire jack and wrench are!!!!! There will be two plastic knobs that you will have to turn to open and lift it off, real simple. The code will be on the fender wall, bring paper and pen to write and possibly a flash light so you can see the code clearly!!! Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just bought a 99 Explorer XLT and the dealer told me I had to pay them 79 bucks to tell me the code that it wasn't on the truck anywhere. I came to this website and found it within 5 minutes. It was on a sticker on the little box to the far right of the jack. You have to get a flashlight to see it because you cant see it because it is too close to the plastic....
Thanks..............

#17 ·
jjwwrr said:
:priest: Thank you for all your help. I have had a1997 Explorer for about 2 years and refuse to pay a dealer to tell me what the keyless code is. I found this site and found my code in less then 5 minutes. Thank you very much. :hy:
hey i have a 2003 ford explorer and i was wondering if you can help me and tell me where i can find my keyless entry code on my car thank u

G
#18 ·
Grateful in VA said:
I just bought a 99 Explorer XLT and the dealer told me I had to pay them 79 bucks to tell me the code that it wasn't on the truck anywhere. I came to this website and found it within 5 minutes. It was on a sticker on the little box to the far right of the jack. You have to get a flashlight to see it because you cant see it because it is too close to the plastic....
Thanks..............
Okay, I found the label that I can't read because it is too close to the plastic.

So, how do you read it?!

#19 ·
mnkeyman16 said:
hey i have a 2003 ford explorer and i was wondering if you can help me and tell me where i can find my keyless entry code on my car thank u
The info is in this thread if you had read it which is why I linked you to here but I have copied it from the post for your reference and please read the other posts in this thread for more info if you need it. Hope this helps with your problem :hy:

Programming keyless entry codes (driver door panel keypad).

The computer module is located inside the same cargo area side storage panel that contains the jack. The 5 digit code taped to the computer module is the factory set code.

If you have trouble, see the owners manual section "Controls and features" or the index for "Keyless Entry System".

Good luck!

G
#21 ·
Keyless lock code, 2001 Explorer Sport. Location?

It looks like the Ford Explorer Sport hides the computer module in a different place. I have a 2001 and it is not located in the jack hatch. Anyone have any other ideas?

G
#23 ·
revoltdeceased said:

This 3" x 3" sticker is on the white computer module which has the 5-digit code for the Keypad Lock, alright. However when you look at it, it is upside down and facing towards the inside of the vehicle towards the plastic interior which is about one each away from the sticker. I took a good flashlight and a magnifying glass in order to see it. It did not take 2 minutes as some claim. It was very hard to see. The

G
#24 ·
Thanks for the info, I found the factory code in my '98explorer in less than a minute. As for a dealer charging you; for my F-150, I had one tell me it would cost $35. Another dealer's service department hooked up there computer and told me the code for nothing. Call around if you cant find your code.