Ford Forums banner

Worn steering gear???

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  steve1147 
#1 ·
Hello!
While recently having new tires put on my '94 Probe 4-cyl. the tire guy told me I needed new tie rod ends, and showed me how the tire moves side to side about 1/2 inch while off the ground, told me to change them, then bring it in for an alignment.

Very shortly after leaving the tire shop I noticed popping noises on turning/hitting bumps and throbbing/pulsing upon acceleration and decided the CV joints should also be replaced, and might as well do struts while I was under there...

Anyway, when I jacked the car up and checked before beginning this great job, it seems the tie rod ends are tight and the movement at both sides is from the steering rods moving in the middle "steering gear" as Ford calls it.

According to my Haynes manual, this is a BIG drawn-out job to change the steering gear. Is this small movement in this area critical and dangerous or can it be lived-with for a while?
Should I proceed with changing the CV joints, struts and ends, or am I wasting my time/money with the steering gear as it is? Is an algnment even possible under this condition?

Thanks a million, Steve W.

See less See more
#2 ·
OK, never mind, I took the car to a shop, and the tie-rods actually go INTO the steering box.

Less than $800 later, I have new cv driveaxles, new struts and strut bearings, tie rods and front end alignment, and it drives like a new Corvette.

Thanks anyway, Steve W.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.