Ford Forums banner

428 CJ help to ID

4K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  kvonbehren 
#1 ·
Need some help here I purchased a "69" Fairlane 428CJ. The part #'s on the intake and exhaust manifolds and the heads are correct but I can't I.D. the block. 352 is cast into the front so no question it's an FE block. The casting number under the oil filter outlet is 9F9. The only other numbers I can find are on the front of the block next to the casting number (Drivers side) beside the timing cover.
They read:

BD JOHN S
2 1094 JR

There is also a 7 that is X'ed out before the BD JOHN S. Can't find any serial number on the back of block behind # 8 cylinder which makes me wonder if this block is correct.

#2 ·
Well the 9F9 is a 69/June/9th date code. Those other markings stamped in the block next to the casting number sound like some sort of owner ID info or rebuilder info. Nothing from the factory. What heads are on the engine? Also take a little mirror and look behind the DR side head surface below by the firewall for a partial vin number. Sometimes the head was stamped not the block.That with a little detective work will confirm what you have. You can remove the valve covers to see if the heads are a matching date code or close. The heads date codes are between the center two valve springs. The heads should be the C8OE-6090-N's that are common to the SCJ/CJ engines. You can take the engine date code info and compare it to the build timeline of your car to see if it's close enough. I'd also check the stroke for a 3.98" crank.

G.

#3 ·
Thanks, I have checked the heads, intake and exhaust manifolds they are all correct CJ numbers. I was looking for the serial number for the block on the back behind #8 cylinder and there's no number there. I'll check the back of the head to see if if it's stamped there. I will also check the stroke to see what crank it has. Thanks very much for the help.

#4 ·
Well I checked the stroke and it measures at 4" so its 428 crank. There are absolutely no numbers stamped on either the back of the head or the block behind #8 cylinder. Were there any CJ blocks NOT stamped with the partial serial number? Everything else on this motor is original CJ so I guess I can only assume the block is as well. Any other comments or thoughts greatly appreciated.

#5 ·
Yes indeed not all blocks or heads were stamped with the partial vin. This started in 68 and was kind of spotty through 69. If your date codes are matching or close and within the timeframe of your cars production you probably have the correct engine.

G.

#6 ·
Oh BTW these guys on this site can help you much further than I as far as the "original" parts and condition of your car goes. www.428cobrajet.org If you have not checked this one out yet it's a great site for ID info and the forum guys are the best. www.fordfe.com is another great FE forum with a very good bunch of guys. You will see a few of them on numerous forums.

Good luck with the CJ. Sounds like an awesome car!

G.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.