Ford Forums banner

5.6 Windsor Idling Problem

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Noboss 
#1 ·
Hi - I am both new to the forum and the 5.6 Windsor.

I recently purchased an AU3 250 pursuit ute. Had about 3 days of hassle free driving and then the fuel pump died. I replaced the pump and got the car going but it would not idle properly (hunting badly). I checked the battery, which needed to be replaced; this alleviated the problem but not entirely.

The car now starts and runs fine unless it is hot – when it’s hot you often have to actually give it a bit of gas to start and it will hunt for a while before settling down. When it’s going it runs fine all through the rev range.

Has anyone come across this?

#2 ·
Mate you will need to reset the idle, after battery is disconnected you have to reset the idle sometimes, its a fairy easy job

#3 ·
Run the car with the aircon on for a time then off for a time, it should settle down after a while.

#6 ·
Jars said:
Noboss said:
Run the car with the aircon on for a time then off for a time, it should settle down after a while

Hi, I was looking through some of the old threads and found a similar suggestion - have run the a/c over the last week - but no improvement.
It wouldn't be too much wrong, looks lke a trip to your ford dealer for a checkup..They will plug into thr service port & find whats going on... :hy:

#7 ·
Hi JARS. I have AUIII 220, and on a really hot day 43 degrees mine iddled crook then stoped at the lights, and had trouble going again, had to wait for something to cool down then would go again then stop again. But on a normal temp day its perfectly fine you wouldnt know anything was wrong. (maybe somrthing to do with ignition)

Was yours doing the same?
If so has it been fixed as yet?

Please Help

#8 ·
Have you changed the headers or is it still standard??
If you use Dphillipo or herrod headers they can cause an idle problems..

#10 ·
L220 said:
Hi JARS. I have AUIII 220, and on a really hot day 43 degrees mine iddled crook then stoped at the lights, and had trouble going again, had to wait for something to cool down then would go again then stop again. But on a normal temp day its perfectly fine you wouldnt know anything was wrong. (maybe somrthing to do with ignition)

Was yours doing the same?
If so has it been fixed as yet?

Please Help
I live in QLD, so reasonably warm most of the time. However, similarly the problem only surfaces when the engine is at operating temperature and has been stopped, re: go for a drive (engine at op temp) turn the car off and then go to restart.

No, not fixed yet (am travelling with work) and I am not sure how much faith I have in my local ford dealers - have had a couple of ordinary experiences with them working on my wifes Territory

#11 ·
Jars said:
I live in QLD, so reasonably warm most of the time. However, similarly the problem only surfaces when the engine is at operating temperature and has been stopped, re: go for a drive (engine at op temp) turn the car off and then go to restart.

No, not fixed yet (am travelling with work) and I am not sure how much faith I have in my local ford dealers - have had a couple of ordinary experiences with them working on my wifes Territory
As much as I agree with your statment about ford dealers, I would get them to hook up & have a look at whats going on. It mabe something silly that you can get fixed somewere else or even fix yourself. Get them to findout what the problem is and go from there........

#12 ·
Noboss said:
As much as I agree with your statment about ford dealers, I would get them to hook up & have a look at whats going on. It mabe something silly that you can get fixed somewere else or even fix yourself. Get them to findout what the problem is and go from there........

I'll take your advice and post the outcome.

Cheers

#13 ·
Sounds like you need to reset the computer, I found dc'ing the battery then reconnecting it (make sure u got ur radio code) let the car idle for 10minutes, then put it in drive and let it idle for 10mins in drive then turn the car off and back on again.. this fixed the problem in my car and hopefully yours..

Cheers :)

#14 ·
MaxPower said:
Sounds like you need to reset the computer, I found dc'ing the battery then reconnecting it (make sure u got ur radio code) let the car idle for 10minutes, then put it in drive and let it idle for 10mins in drive then turn the car off and back on again.. this fixed the problem in my car and hopefully yours..

Cheers :)
I had tried disconnecting the battery (resetting the computer) but did not let it idle for that period of time afterwards - I will give it a go tonight - also, mine is a manual, so is there an alternative to letting it idle in drive?

#15 ·
Tried the above with no results - I finally bit the bullet and took the car to Ford. The guy that I got was really good. It turned out to be the base idle and he adjusted it then and there. Simple to do and he showed me how and explained why it happened.

#16 ·
Jars said:
Tried the above with no results - I finally bit the bullet and took the car to Ford. The guy that I got was really good. It turned out to be the base idle and he adjusted it then and there. Simple to do and he showed me how and explained why it happened.
Good to here, so everything is sweet now?? :hy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.