Ford Forums banner

crank snout sizes on stroker cranks

8K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  russxr67 
#1 ·
I,m building a 383 cube cleveland and was wondering what ,if any differentiates between the snout of a 351 w and 351c. Most aftermarket cranks seem to be machined with windsor snouts and as such require a few different bits but this particular crank seems ok.Isn,t the windsor snout marginally smaller? If so by how much. I have been dummying the bottom end up and so far the stock clev Rollmaster looks to be a good fit as does the Ross balancer which fits snugly over the snout. The only thing it will need by the looks is the .30 spacer between the crank and the crank gear. From memory most guys have had issues with balancers being sloppy and have either had to shim or buy another balancer.Anyone?

#3 ·
russxr67 said:
I,m building a 383 cube cleveland and was wondering what ,if any differentiates between the snout of a 351 w and 351c. Most aftermarket cranks seem to be machined with windsor snouts and as such require a few different bits but this particular crank seems ok.Isn,t the windsor snout marginally smaller? If so by how much. I have been dummying the bottom end up and so far the stock clev Rollmaster looks to be a good fit as does the Ross balancer which fits snugly over the snout. The only thing it will need by the looks is the .30 spacer between the crank and the crank gear. From memory most guys have had issues with balancers being sloppy and have either had to shim or buy another balancer.Anyone?
Russ ive just done all this stuff man,ring me.

If you dont want to ring here we go,If your using the windsor snouted crank in a clevo you will need the SVO timing gear set as the crank doesn't have the .005" step for the crankgear to interference fit onto,also this set does away with the need for the .300" spacer as it is built into the gear set.

And if you have had it line bored get the set to suit ,its called the "Tunnel bore set".

MAtt

#5 ·
tunnell boring relocates the crank closer to the camshaft very slightly. This gear set takes that into consideration and is shorter in length by a few thou. Using a standard timing set in an engine that had been tunnel bored would make the chain slightly too long and therefore sloppy.

#7 ·
GT-P 738 said:
Russ ive just done all this stuff man,ring me.

If you dont want to ring here we go,If your using the windsor snouted crank in a clevo you will need the SVO timing gear set as the crank doesn't have the .005" step for the crankgear to interference fit onto,also this set does away with the need for the .300" spacer as it is built into the gear set.

And if you have had it line bored get the set to suit ,its called the "Tunnel bore set".

MAtt
Thanx mat,i did not realise there was an interference step on these cranks.I,ll whip out my micrometers and check to see if the stroker is the same as a 4ma. I don,t think i,ll bother with line boring of this engine. This one will just be an el cheapo and since it has a cast crank i don,t intend punishing it too much. I,m not building a 600 hp weapon . I,m trying to build more of a mild combo that will still make around 500 hp and gobs of torque whilst keeping the rpm,s to a manageable level. i,ll possibly use a set of 2v open heads that have been worked over significantly or perhaps a set of 185 CHI,s and a torquepower intake. It looks like i,ll have to go with a set of Probe pistons and my machinist has a liking for Eagle rods so a set with 6.125 length have been ordered. i was initially going to use an SRP piston but can,t get stock. Interestingly i had the option of using a Venolia piston but the feedback i got wasn,t as good as i,d hoped so i am going with Probes now.

#8 ·
xw383 said:
G'day i have built a 383 and had no probs with my balancer fitting either. The spacer you are requiring is a ford motorsport part. I don't have a part no handy but it is in the catalogue.
What brand crank are you using?
I know ford make a specific part to suit but trying to locate one would not only be a pain inthe arse but would prolly cost a small fortune cause it has a ford part number. If i can use the Original Rollmaster set i will use it and get a mate of mine to turn me up a spacer for nicks.

#9 ·
russxr67 said:
I,m trying to build more of a mild combo that will still make around 500 hp and gobs of torque whilst keeping the rpm,s to a manageable level.
Not sure you can use 500hp and mild combo in the same sentence Russ :hy:
But more power to you mate let us know how it goes.
Dam, cheaper stroker kits and the new alloy heads are providing some excellent results for this 30+ year old donk.

#11 ·
I had another good look at it and it looks like the cleveland gear on the crank side is a tad loose so i would suspect that the ROC3110 set is machined specifically for this purpose. As Mat said the original clevo cranks have a step on the snout to give an interference fit with the gear but this does not appear to be the case in windsor cranks.

#12 ·
Work Horse said:
Not sure you can use 500hp and mild combo in the same sentence Russ :hy:
But more power to you mate let us know how it goes.
Dam, cheaper stroker kits and the new alloy heads are providing some excellent results for this 30+ year old donk.
Yeah ,its all good.Stroker kits are getting cheaper all the time. Hopefully there is more good news on the horizon as far as ally heads go. I have it ongood authority that the Pro Comp mob are about to release a version as well.You know the mob i,m talking about ,they are ripping off a lot of aftermarket gear. Some say the product is good and have had no probs but others loathe the gear. I had a look at their website a while back and noticed they are advertising a ally head to suit clevo,s. I have since made a couple of enquiries and are supposedly going to be ready in late Feb. I noticed they have a lot of generic Sbc and windsor heads available and was wondering what the quality was like so I emailed a guy from the 460.ford forum namely Scott the mad porter and seeing as he was a dealer for the gear asked for his opinion of the heads in general. . He mentioned that so far the quality of the castings were a bit rough ,however at the price the heads were being offered he was prepared to overlook that fact. He has built several engines including BB fords ,SBchevs and SBfords using these heads and has reported the castings held up fine. If you look on ebay these heads to suit sbc are being offered for as little as $900 bare and about $1500 complete with manley valves.

#13 ·
russxr67 said:
Yeah ,its all good.Stroker kits are getting cheaper all the time. Hopefully there is more good news on the horizon as far as ally heads go. I have it ongood authority that the Pro Comp mob are about to release a version as well.You know the mob i,m talking about ,they are ripping off a lot of aftermarket gear. Some say the product is good and have had no probs but others loathe the gear. I had a look at their website a while back and noticed they are advertising a ally head to suit clevo,s. I have since made a couple of enquiries and are supposedly going to be ready in late Feb. I noticed they have a lot of generic Sbc and windsor heads available and was wondering what the quality was like so I emailed a guy from the 460.ford forum namely Scott the mad porter and seeing as he was a dealer for the gear asked for his opinion of the heads in general. . He mentioned that so far the quality of the castings were a bit rough ,however at the price the heads were being offered he was prepared to overlook that fact. He has built several engines including BB fords ,SBchevs and SBfords using these heads and has reported the castings held up fine. If you look on ebay these heads to suit sbc are being offered for as little as $900 bare and about $1500 complete with manley valves.
I got a nice set of Closed chamber 2V's flowed to 530 HP that would go real nice on that combo.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.