Ford Forums banner

large shot of n2o, what is needed

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ebxr8240 
#1 ·
im bilding a x-flow up to go in a xf and i would like it to handal a very large shot of n2o. it will be running on straight lpg so it will have a high comp (under 10.5:1) and a large'ish cam with the ef crank and a full balence, im trying to get my hands on a set of 200 rods to use with a set of acl flat tops. not to shor on hed work yet thow. i got a t5 to go with it to. so what do i need to keep in mind if i want to use a larg shot of n2o

thanks, nick

#2 ·
You'll need to work on the exhaust flow if you're going to use large amounts of N2O. A cam with a wider than normal lobe seperation is the go & good exhaust port flow is critical.
A good fuel supply is a must. Running big fuel lines to the fuel solenoid & an electric fuel pump should do the trick. A dedicated N2O fuel supply system (seperate fuel cell, lines, pump) is a good way to go with big shots.
There's a few blokes on the list with heaps of experience with N2O & I'm sure they'll be happy to help.

#3 ·
What do you call a big shot of n2o?

tufLTD has made a few good points in relation to exhaust side, but there are many other things to keep in mind when running nitrous.

I'd be a little concerned with the rod/piston combo, and even though i looked into it also, there are many factors with LPG and n2o that aren't compatible.

Be careful ;)

#5 ·
krusty said:
so what tuning points have you got for us TTN0S8
Well, where do you want to start? Which end of the car?

First suggestion would be to do a search on this very forum, as the same advice has been given out time and time again by the same few people, for the last 4 years or so.

If your too lazy for that, then well...........

But its not just timing that gives havoc with n2o. Although in your case it could be.

How does nitrous oxide work in a internal combustion engine? What are its advantages when used correctly? What are its disadvantages?

Now I'll ask you the same questions in reagrds to LPG. How do you gain the most benefit from LPG?

Are you going to be running a ignition management system?

searching the net can bring up wonders. if you are keen on doing the LPG with n2o thing, then do some research into how it works.

Some hassles I'd think you may run into;
Your base tune-keeping your mixtures consistent on LPG
Timing-advancing & retarding
Fuel-having a fuel source in your LPG powered car.
LPG-finding a good reliable source that supplies consistent LPG

Remember that having your engine tune spot on will make tuning your nitrous easier. Any problems you have with your base tune will show up multiplied on nitrous!

#7 ·
Thought of..A separate alloy tank under bonnet with fuel fed from there, it will only need to be 10 to 15 ltrs....You could also run straight methanol just for the track??? An MSD box or similar for timing control....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.