Ford Forums banner

What sort of rockers are you using?

6K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  DavidNJ 
#1 ·
Hey what sort Roller rockers are you using? I'm looking at Comp cams/Crower/yella terra.
the engine will be singing to 8000rpm, any one using yella terra platinum race rockers? and taking it to 8000rpm and beyond? They seem so simple no girdles etc.

#2 ·
I use Yella Terra roller rockers with 7/16 screw in studs. Been there since 2000 and has seen 7000rpm more times than i care to remember. I don't anything about yella terra platinum race rockers.

#3 ·
potty said:
Hey what sort Roller rockers are you using? I'm looking at Comp cams/Crower/yella terra.
the engine will be singing to 8000rpm, any one using yella terra platinum race rockers? and taking it to 8000rpm and beyond? They seem so simple no girdles etc.
I've bought the YT platinums for the engine I'm building. The trunion size is much bigger than any other roller rocker I've seen, should be bullet-proof.
As you say, no girdles, no guide plates, etc is also an advantage. KISS (keep it simple, stupid).
If you need any photo's or dimensions, let me know.
Cheers.

#4 ·
Im using the crane golds and no issues in daily use over 18mnts so far.
I will be using them on my next incarnation with a roller cam and 240lbseat 660lbopen spring pressures so that will be a better test of strength im sure!

#10 ·
What's the going price for a set of Platinum series rockers?

Just stay away from those Yella Terra 5/16 bolt mounted RR's that use standard pedestals and not screw in studs.

Got my Crane Gold RR's NIB. But they're tried and proven. Just as a guide, you could get them new from the US for about AU$475 including postage.

#11 ·
potty said:
I use Comp Cams with a stud girdle.

...but it won't see 8,000 RPM.

:davis:

#12 ·
I had yella terra 7/16th not the platinum series though on my 408 cube clevor and broke one basically down the sides in line with where the stud goes thru, was told it was just a faulty rocker but who knows. I didnt chance it and bought a set of crane golds which so far have done the job, ill be re-using these with a comp cams girdle which i picked up for $300 second hand but never used still in the box, so it worked out cheaper than purchasing a set of platinum Y/T (cranes $550 plus girdle, platinums are $1100 I was told) and should be just as strong if not stronger.

#16 ·
I just wouldn't pay that $$$......maybe in a Nascar pulling 7500-8000 all day long!! Imagine some Crane Gold Race rockers......and $500 left over to pay for all the other valve train bits. Remember, drag racing "squirts" are quite different to long haul endurance racing.

#17 ·
TruBlu351 said:
I just wouldn't pay that $$$......maybe in a Nascar pulling 7500-8000 all day long!! Imagine some Crane Gold Race rockers......and $500 left over to pay for all the other valve train bits. Remember, drag racing "squirts" are quite different to long haul endurance racing.
Hang on, by the time you pay $500 for rockers, then $300+ for stud girdles, then another $100+ for guide plates, that's over $900. Not that much difference compared to just over $1000 for Platinum's. Plus it's a much simpler set-up, less parts means less things to go wrong. Also you have the benefit of significantly less unsupported rocker weight.

#18 ·
I see that the Platinums are kept in their lateral position by using dowel pins. Do you need your heads drilled for these? Do they us a special stud?....or they come in the kit?

I guess it's all application dependant too.........whether or not you need a stud girdle.

#19 ·
TruBlu351 said:
I see that the Platinums are kept in their lateral position by using dowel pins. Do you need your heads drilled for these? Do they us a special stud?....or they come in the kit?

I guess it's all application dependant too.........whether or not you need a stud girdle.
It all comes in the kit. There's a special aligning tool to line up the rocker shaft, then simply drill & fit locating pin.

#25 ·
No one is using shafts? T&D and Jesel both offers shaft systems for about twice the cost of the stainless rollers. However, when a girdle is added, the cost difference is less. The shafts avoid the scraps and hassle of a stud girdle and offer greater rigidity. And T&D offers valve spring oiling from a port in the rocker.

Crower offers a version of their BB Chevy rollers (aren't they the same?) with a .050 backspace to handle alignment with longer valves and/or higher ratios. I use the Crower .090 backspace rockers to put a 1.8 ratio in a small block Chevy for oval track racing.

#26 ·
I run the YT Platinums on AFD alloys and spin it to 7000rpm with a 605/605 lift cam.

Dave at AFD installed the RR's on the heads for me as I wanted the dowel pin holes drilled so the heads could be cleaned up of any shavings before the valves were installed which saved me disassembling the valves etc and reassembling the heads.

The platinums are the go and new technology. Forget about guides and stud girdles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.