Ford Forums banner

Fuel problems (or lack of)

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  xcgxl 
#1 ·
I am running a Holley mechanical fuel pump HLY-12-84. My problem is I am not getting any fuel up to the carb. It sits around for weeks at a time and usually takes a while to pump up but this time nothing. Nothing in the front bowl and the plugs are bone dry. Poured some fuel down the carb and she fired up so igniton is good. Has anyone had any experience with these pumps? Do just fail suddenly? Are they rebuildable? I think so, anyone done it or know the part number of the kit I need or where to get one? I assume it is the pump. It has had very little use (<5000Km) and I have an inline filter near the tank which is the same age. Any ideas would be appreciated.

#3 ·
how long did you crank it over for, could have a fuel drain/vaporise problem.
the fuel tank can hold alot of pressure and either hold fuel back, or cause it to drain back into the tank from the carby, therefore no fuel
let us know how ya go

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Sorted out the problem. Went and bought a 20L drum of fuel (at my wife's suggestion!) and put it in the tank and that was enough to get things going. There was definately fuel in it, the guage was showing just below 1/4 full. Just needed a bit more to get things going. I put $40 worth in last time I drove it but I guess $40 worth of premium is just a piss in the tank these days. I was starting to feel jinxed again as we have a concourse day on Sunday.

#5 ·
Easy fix :hy: I like those.

WRT a rebuild kit for a Holley mech pump though......I've had no such luck in being able to track one down. Been told they no longer make them. So, my Holley mech pump just collects dust. The diaphragm eventually died and wouldn't pump enough.

#6 ·
TruBlu351 said:
Easy fix :hy: I like those.

WRT a rebuild kit for a Holley mech pump though......I've had no such luck in being able to track one down. Been told they no longer make them. So, my Holley mech pump just collects dust. The diaphragm eventually died and wouldn't pump enough.
That would be right. They make a rebuildable pump (unlike the factory Carter) and then stop making the kits for them. I think I will go electric if/when mine wears out. They are only rated at 60 GPH anyway. Holley website lists it a 80GPH but when I got it the box said 60 so work that one out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.