Ford Forums banner

Petrol Fume Smell.

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  johnmans 
#1 ·
Hello All,
I am occasionally getting a petrol smell through the cabin and boot on my EF11 Ghia. It mainly occurs when driving for long distances with either the drivers or front passengers window down, sometimes fumes are detected when running with air con on.
Have checked the hoses under the car from petrol tank to charcol box under front guard and found no blockages. No fuel leaks in engine area.
Went to Peter Warrens and they said that the breather on the fuel cap was faulty. Changed cap and made no difference.
Does any one have any suggestions as to what may be the problem.
Regards,
Steve

#2 ·
Hi Steve
Had a similar problem with my EB a few years ago, found 2 problems: my x-mechanic sent the injectors away to be 'serviced', turns out the guys who did this had no idea what they were doing & blew the guts out of 3 of them - had them replace all 8, secondly, under the BBQ plate (engine cover)the fuel rail hose was swelling on heat up, replaced that, gave it a good clean - no more smell. Good luck.

#3 ·
If you have been over every inch of the car, and can find no evidence anywhere of a fuel leak anywhere, (usually there will be staining evident somewhere if fuel is leaking), then it's quite possible that the carbon cannister is saturated with fuel.

The carbon cannister is designed to store fuel vapours from the tank, but if it gets a gutfull of fuel it becomes saturated and smells. (Is usually worse on hotter days).

This usually happens when the fuel tank is overfilled. If you are in the habit of filling it to the brim,....don't! Fill it to the first click of the gun, round it off to the nearest dollar if you must, but don't fill past that point.

If that is the cause of the smell it may take some time to disappear completely, but it will happen.

#5 ·
Howdy Steve,

It's actually the internal charcoal element that becomes saturated. I've never actually tried to pull one apart, as I think most of them are sealed units. You don't get actual liquid fuel in there, (or not for long at least), but the charcoal can only absorb so much in the way of fumes.

The TE-50 is sensational! (thanks for asking). I took it for a squirt up the Putty road on Saturday. I think everything is nicely bedded in now.

Salada

Jimbaddy

G
#6 ·
Jimbaddy

Mmm TE50, tasty. So now its all bedded in are you coming to Oran Park on Saturday for the driver training day? If you haven't entered its not too late and I'm sure you'll get favourable attention. :)

#9 ·
petrol fumees well guys i could sit here and bore u to death but to cut a long story short the heat causes the fumes to excape out of the cars petrol tank and the vaccumm inside the car sucks the fumes in from all the unsealed seams in the car this problem is more noticeable in long wheel base car but it also happen in short wheel base cars also you have to seal up allthe seams in the car including the ones in behind the rear bumper and under the car its a long process but if done correctly it works

#10 ·
Cant say ive smelt petrol fumes in any late model Falcon, my dad's old XB wagon was pretty bad in the back seat with the windows up though. Same with a mates XF Wagon.

G
#12 ·
Esp on late model you shouldn't have fuel smell,have you filled the car too full?Is it out the exhaust?If it is, the engine needs checking.There is a senser behind the left drivers light[front of air cleaner] that controls purge from canister maybe is not working?A fult code check may help.Can be dangerous too.Another thing it is quite common for the p.c.v.valve to come out at the rear of the manifold, worth checking?Car usually surges at idle when dislodged.

#13 ·
Hello Paul,
Thanks for the tips on spots to check.
Not in habit of over filling petrol tank.
Smell occurs more at half tank and when close to empty. Smell is more noticable in boot, so I think the problem is around the petrol tank area. Cannot see any petrol stains anywhere, nothing in motor area. Last occurence of smell was last Saturday on run down to Kangaroo Valley. The fumes did not start until tank was half empty and car was getting a nice little work out on the road from Berry to Kangaroo Valley (tight twisting turns and steep climbs), but only when windows were down. The ealier reply that mentioned a vaccum created in the cabin may have some merit. Will keep searching for solution.
Regards,
Steve.

#14 ·
good day steve
basically u have to seal up all the seams around the rear of the rear of the car what we usually use is drip check u can buy it from repco in a tube. Also fill the rails under the car with expandable foam from about the half way to the rear of the car u must also ensure the purge control vavle is working correctly and that none of the vapour lines are blocked or restricted in any way if you have any queries my e mail is johnmans@atu.com.au im more than happy to talk to u there is a way to check to see if you have sealed up all the seams but its hard to explain if need be i will just ask me
regards john

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.