Ford Forums banner

Oil pump pressure relief spring

8K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  shard351 
#1 ·
How do you change the pressure relief spring on a Mellings oil pump?
Do you punch and rip out the welsh plug and replace the welsh plug with a new one? Or can you get at it some other way?

I have a new pump (pics of old pump) and don't want to damage it

See less See more
#5 ·
To remove the welsh plug you drill a small hole in it and then screw a self tapping screw into it. The head of the screw provides a grip for pliers to leverage the welsh plug out. Take note of the depth of the welsh plug for reinstallation of the newly purchased one.

#6 ·
Well I thought I'd try the old one first. Punched a hole in it and levered it out with a screwdriver - too easy. Now lets do the new one - try the same way. Punch a hole in it a bit tougher than the old one but eventually goes in. Now try to lever with the screwdriver - much harder and start to bend the screwdriver.

Now I've either got to drill a new hole and use the self tapper, or get a die grinder and carefully cut the plug out. Doh!!!

#7 ·
shard351 said:
Well I thought I'd try the old one first. Punched a hole in it and levered it out with a screwdriver - too easy. Now lets do the new one - try the same way. Punch a hole in it a bit tougher than the old one but eventually goes in. Now try to lever with the screwdriver - much harder and start to bend the screwdriver.

Now I've either got to drill a new hole and use the self tapper, or get a die grinder and carefully cut the plug out. Doh!!!
I doubt the die grinder method would work wihout damaging the case. I would try one or two self tappers to remove it. They are not very hard to pull out as long as the force is applied in the right axis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.