Ford Forums banner

Please help! Power windows problem

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  miesk5 
#1 ·
Yo guys, the power windows on my wife's 97 Taurus GL just stopped working. All of a sudden, no power windows. Everything else in the car still works, power locks, power seat, power trunk release, power mirrirs, etc. Any idea why the power windows would just suddenly stop working? Thanks.

#2 ·
yo!
Ford issued TSB 98-25-13 on power windows sticking and binding on 1996 - 2001 Taurus and Sables to the point they do not roll up or down. They attribute this to the window glass sticking to the weatherstrip. They recommend cleaning the weatherstrip and spraying it with silicone spray to correct the problem.
http://v8sho.com/SHO/Power WindowsStickDoNotOperate.htm
or;
eziest and cheapest checks firts;
check fuse #33

power window relay; located inside fuse box. Number 38 is upper left;

both are OK,have to ck Switch(s) wiring to window motor.

if no voltage to motors; could be in flex portion of harness where it enters door from interior; around hinge area(s)

and read this;
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_windows/article/0,2021,DIY_13702_2272112,00.html

This is the service procedure to check the power window motors.

1. With engine running, verify the power window operation by holding the power window switch in the down position for approximately 5 seconds. If window operates, proceed to Step 8. If window does not operate, proceed to Step 2.

2. Remove door trim panel.

3. Remove window motor from regulator and hook up a Digital Volt-Ohm Meter (DVOM) to measure DC volts at window motor connector.

4. With engine running, depress window switch (including driver master switch) and verify a minimum of 12V at motor connector. If voltage is OK, proceed to Step 5. If under 12 volts, investigate switch or other source of resistance.

5. Reconnect electrical connectors and function window motor.

6. If motor functions, reinstall motor. If motor exhibits lock-up, replace motor.

7. Pry the weatherstrip seal from the door glass along the header.

8. Lower the window and clean the weatherstrip glass run with a clean cloth that has been saturated with silicone spray.

I would clean and silicone the weatherstrip before I go and take anything apart.

#3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, i will check those fuses and relays. Since ALL 4 power windows quit working all at once, it certainly isn't a single motor problem, or a sticking glass problem, it must be an electrical wiring problem bringing power to the master controls in the driver door.

I checked the fuses in the power distribution box under the hood, they were all OK. However, on the fuse panel under the dash there are many, many small fuses, and I have no idea which is for what.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.