Ford Forums banner

AU Fault Codes

4K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Aussiblue 
#1 ·
Hi all. Can anyone point me to the method for retreiving and the listings for fault codes on an AU? I've got a manual ute that stumbles and stalls occasionally such as when changing down gears to go around a corner. The idle revs dip, sometimes it recovers and other times it will stall. Instant change to heavy steering! Any clues?

Thanks

#2 ·
You need to buy or build a scan tool and as it isn't OBD II compliant (it is an OBDII socket but not OBDII pinouts/signals) buying a cheap one from the US on the net may not work.

See How do I know whether my car is OBD-II compliant? - Powered By Kayako eSupport for a further expnanation. If you have a factory manual and the electronic know how you should be able to build one or at least a PC intrerface............ if you can source a sell OBDII plug (Jaycar no longer have stocks see https://secure4.vivid-design.com.au...orumid=11&messageid=1696&ForumName=Automotive). This article will help Silicon Chip Online - A Self-Diagnostics Plug For Your Car although it notes the circuit it describes wont work on Aussie made Fords as they are not fully OBDII compliant.

#5 ·
Thank you all for your replies. From what you are saying it seems to me to be a very different process to that was used on the E series using the "flashing LED" readout protocol. Sounds like it could be a case of "off to the dyno shed"!

Cheers......

#10 ·
Notty, the flashing LED method is for E series Fords. The fault codes are indicated from the ECU via an output terminal on the diagnostic connector under the dash. The pulses are best observed and noted down using a 12 volt LED type test probe that is connected to the terminal. The codes displayed can then be interpreted by referring to the manual. Gregorys have all the info and the method, and I'm also sure there have been plenty of postings on this.

Mistakenly it seems, I thought AU's were the same. According to the help I've received here, they're not!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.