Ford Forums banner

Painting My Statesman - HELP!!!!

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  akira 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have just brought a 1994 VR Holden Statesman... 3.8L Petrol with LPG fitted...

I am looking to get into older models of Holden's but this is a wonderful place to start... I want to paint her up and learn how to do it properly....

She's not in bad condition (apart from the accident).. .You can tell it wasn't owned by a smoker in the general tidiness of the interior... The floors don't have scuff marks suggesting the kids couldn't touch the ground or they were not in the car... The motor is a strong 3.8L..... The leather is worn a little but much better than I've seen... Im going to have to find a leather restorer to find out how much it would cost to put a bit more soft into the leather - if that makes sense....

She had rear damage when I purchased it... Which also had a small hit in the front... Must have been a doosey!!!!!!!

She has been in the repairers with a very FUSSY Kiwi gentleman (contacts avail if you want a great panel beater - fussy 2)... Des has cut the rear 1/4 of the car and replaced it with a very straight honest rear cut off another holden that was in a fire...

He has explained me the horror stories that can be done in cut's but he's re assured me it will be safe.. I see the main difference in dodgy work is people cut the sills straight in a 90 degree angle... this is stupid because the stress points don't come back into the car... He has cut it at different points - by the looks of it 3 or 4 areas so it can have crumple zones back into the car - im pretty happy with that! safety 1st! 4 sure!!!!!!!!

Well that's the car... it's been an interesting ride thats for sure!!!!!!!!...

The car is now Green over silver as the original color... The bonnet is Grey Primer... The Front Bumper is Grey Primer... The boot Is Red... the Rear bumper is red... The rear 1/4 is blue as all blue... Des has flashed some paint into the interior parts that will be seen once the door has bene opened so this will make life easy for me!!!

I can't afford a re-spray done professionally! But then in saying that, I want to learn how to do it myself so I can learn for some projects that I can move into.. Maybe to to an HK or a HQ Holden (like our old family one in New Zealand)

I do not have a Garage.... I do not have a shielded space apart from the tree's etc..... This is why I am going to ask for all of your help!!!!!!!!

I would like to spray the parts that can be taken off before Des finishes the job on the repair work to make things faster!!!!!!!!!

I have found a 2hp system at Bunnings that looks like a good deal.... I need help - will this be strong enough?

I would love to know peoples hints towards 2pack and acrillic ive heard about? Whats the difference

Can I get a professional job done by doing it myself with some time and patience?

Can people help me out as much as you can suggest n guide me into the right direction...

As I see it i need a;

Air Compressor
A Gun
Lots of plastic sheeting
A hose to wet the ground
Primer
Body Filler (for scratches)
Can you get a spray can body filler to fill up scratches and so on?
Thinners?

Please anyone, help me out - I need direction to start the ball rolling so i can learn to do it myself

Cheers

Dan

email me mrbratt2000@hotmail.com or add me to your msn... Id love to see your posts & giving me direction! Cheers!

See less See more
#2 ·
G'day,
well if your painting 2-pac, then a 2hp compressor simply will NOt do the job!

to paint 2-pac effectivley, you need 15cfm or more (4.5hp)

to pain acryllic you need at least 8 cfm!

to be honest, the time you will spend, and the money in learning, you will pay roughly half by getting someone to hit it for you.

You can save however in preperation....rub it down yourself, clean up the gunge, and maybe mask it.

but pay a pro to paint it and you will have less headaches.

it is nice to say you painted it yourself..a mark of achievment, but the criticisms on quality will always undermine this feel good factor.

cheers
Jas

#7 ·
maybe he doesn't realize that Holden is Aussie for CHEVY? Oh well, JAS24 is right. To start painting is VERY expensive!!!! I have spent A LOT of money getting setup, and when it comes to paint equipment you get what you pay for!!! The difference between a $100 gun and a $400 gun is HUGE.... and if you don't have a booth you will never get a dust free finish, it's ok for primer which you will block sand but to seal and paint you need a sealed area. It's great to learn to paint and very rewarding but materials and parts can easily cost $2000 for decent let alone good brands. Prime and sand parts yourself that will save alot of money but let a pro spray it for you, I know a few painters that won't spray a car unless they finish all the prep themselves. Buy a couple of how-to books they are great for info or look for a night school class at a local college they are great help but you might want to buy a garage first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.