Ford Forums banner

2000 Taurus Load roaring noise in front

6K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  tbird100636 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 Ford Taurus with 67,000 miles on it. When I get up to about 25 to 30 mph a load roaring noise begins. The faster I go, the faster and louder the noise gets. I thought it was just loud tires, but some people that have rode with me think it could be something else. If I shift it into neutral while going 50 mph, the sound remains constant. It only drops when the speed of the car drops. Is their something I could do to first of all make sure it isn't the tires? What if I jacked up the car's front end and then ran it up to 45 mph or so with the wheels off the ground? If the sound is there, then I would know for sure that it wasn't my tires. I don't know what to do. I hesitate to take it in for diagnostic work as then I am $100 in just to hook it up to the computer. Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
JSJA said:
I have a 2000 Ford Taurus with 67,000 miles on it. When I get up to about 25 to 30 mph a load roaring noise begins. The faster I go, the faster and louder the noise gets. I thought it was just loud tires, but some people that have rode with me think it could be something else. If I shift it into neutral while going 50 mph, the sound remains constant. It only drops when the speed of the car drops. Is their something I could do to first of all make sure it isn't the tires? What if I jacked up the car's front end and then ran it up to 45 mph or so with the wheels off the ground? If the sound is there, then I would know for sure that it wasn't my tires. I don't know what to do. I hesitate to take it in for diagnostic work as then I am $100 in just to hook it up to the computer. Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like you have a bad front wheel bearing. To figure out which side while dring turn the steering wheel to one side (Change lanes for instance or drive in an empty parking lot.) If it gets louder turning to one side then the bad bearing is in the opposite wheel. (If turning to R. it gets louder than the LF bearing is at fault, same concept for L. turn.) The noise should get quieter when turning in the opposite direction. This is because the outer wheel gets loaded on turns. (RF on left turns, LF on right turns). This should help you figure out which one. BE FOREWARNED!!! YOU MIGHT HAVE BOTH FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS GOING BAD. YOU HAVE TO REPLACE THE LOUDEST ONE FIRST AND TEST DRIVE IT TO FIND OUT IF THE NOISE IS GONE. Good LucK!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.