Ford Forums banner

electric fans for ed xr8

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Anbo 
G
#1 ·
I know that either ef or el fans bolt straight on but are apparently different part numbers. Can anybody tell me which ones are better.

#2 ·
hi big russ
i have ef fans on my ed falcon the only diference between ef and el fans are is that ef fan have a seperate plugs for each fan motor and el have only one now the trick to fitting these is that you need them to come on when the ac is otherwise your ac wont get cold i got my electrian to wire it up using also a thermo switch to cut the fans in if you like you could e mail me and ill try to explain how to wir it up if i can mine work wonderful some timees too good

#3 ·
Hi Russ,
I have done the same thing to my ED XR6, the EL fans bolt straight on. From Ford they cost me $250, then $150 for fitting and parts(wiring , Thermostat( Davies Craig ) ETC).
Best thing i ever did, no more dust cloud on start up, less noise etc.Well worth it. Now i am looking at putting a Electric Water pump just got to save the money.
Cheers
Kerry

G
#4 ·
Thanks for the help guys, i can go spend my bucks with a bit of confidence now. TIKFD6 tread carefully with electric pump install (read my post 21/10/01). However it could be more successful on a 6

#6 ·
EDXR6WGN,

The whole purpose of installing electric fans is to remove the original belt driven unit. Any speed above say 25kmh is sufficient to allow the radiator to do it's job (ie airflow through the radiator) the belt driven fan sucks the air through.
By removing the fan and using twin elec fans and wireing them through an adjustable thermostat they only kick in at a certain temp. As a bonus, the engine is quieter, "pick up" is more noticeable and fuel economy improves.
I have used elec fans on all my previous cars and if set up properly are a cost effective mod.
All the best

Paul B
EFXR6WGN

G
#7 ·
Kerry,

I was also looking at fitting a DaviesCraig electric water pump. I read a few reviews and they sounded quite positive. However I noticed that Autospeed (www.autospeed.com) started to review this product but pulled the pin after having problems. A mate of mine emailed the site to find out more info. They didn't say what sort of problems that they had but said that they would never fit one to their own car.

Regards
Andrew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.