Ford Forums banner

Wont Start?!?!!

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  maccasbigZD 
#1 ·
Hi All.
First of all, im new to fordorums... soo HI!!
anyways...
I have a 302 Windsor EFI, ive had the upper intake manifold, and the tappet covers off, ive re-assembled, NOW it wont start??
The motor's cranking over easily, just not starting.
Ive double checked the firing order... - when it was connected the 'wrong' way.. it actually starts tho?????? But i have a backfire, then really rough idle??
With the correct order connected... the engine cranks, but no start????

Does anyone have any idead what it could be????

Cheers
dodzy (Aaron)

#2 ·
did you have the distributor out?

#5 ·
how could timing be out 180 if he only took the leads off?
Vacuum leak yes..
or you may have put the leads on in the reverse order, Number 1 is marked on the cap..and What did you mean "when it was corrected the wrong way it starts"?

#6 ·
"when it was connected the 'wrong' way.. it actually starts tho?????? But i have a backfire, then really rough idle??"

coNNected the wrong way.. haha

I've sorted the firing order out, it is now ok, and starts. Its now just REALLY rough...
Seems like ive got a dead plug/cylinder, will be checking that this arvo with a new set of leads and each plug..

I cant see any vacuum leaks or any hoses not connected??

Thanks for all the help guys...
hopefully should get it going before some school formals coming up! grrrrrrrr hahaha

#7 ·
Even if he had the cap off, the timing couldn't have changed! Like gtcoupe95 said, check for vacuum leak. Are you sure the firing order and rotation are correct? Where did you get the firing order from?
Most likely, firing order is wrong. What year 302 is this? The firing order had a couple changes over the years.

#8 ·
Firing order and timing is fine...
Vacuum leak it is... (the two hose hook-ups right under the upper intake - managed to 'sorta' block them up while it was trying to idle, and ran fine..

Goin to take the upper intake back off and plug those back up, and i should be right...
Theirs no specific place these should run to is there? (the engines been retrofittedto my mercedes before i bought it, and theres been some 'pollution' gear left off it.... (yet it still passes rego...)

Thanks
Aaron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.