Ford Forums banner

swapping 4.0's, cannot seperate tranny and engine HELP

3K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  joegibs 
#1 ·
my girlfriend somehow managed to snap the crankshaft clean off at the face of the motor, so me and a friend are franticly trying to swap a new engine in before we have to leave back for college. we have everything disconnected on the engine, and have even lifted the engine part way clean out, but we cant get the transmission to let loose.

we've taken off the starter, and also taken off the 4 nuts on the torque converter, and have also taken off all 6 transmission bolts, two top, two middle, and two lower. several people we've called have told us something or another about the "inspection" plate i think they said, but my friend, the one who's actually doing the work and knows what he's doing says there just isnt one or its not where it usually is, and cant find it.

we've tried jamming anything and everything between the engine and the tranny to pry it apart, but no luck. we've even shook the holy hell out of the engine once lifted with a cherry picker, no luck. we've tried lifting on different sides of the engine and lifting or pulling on different angles of the tranny, but nothing is working.

what the hell are we missing? we HAVE to finish this tomorrow, or we're screwed. once we get the two separated, it'll take us no more than 3-4 hours to get the new one in and running, we've been working on simply separating the two all day, and we're frustrated and ready to quit.

i sincerely appreciate any and all help

forgot to mention, 98 "splash" edition

See less See more
#7 ·
my friend says that we've already unbolted the torque converter from the flywheel. he rotated the flywheel all the way around, and there were only 4 bolts.

are there any type of (bear with me, i dont know what they're called) little plug type deals, looks like two metal, cylinder type deals coming out of the back of the engine that set into the tranny to line it up? i looked on the back of our new engine and there's something like that, and we're thinking thats maybe whats holding them together some how

how likely is it that the engine and tranny are just stuck together from having 130,000 miles, and need a severe beating to get apart?

#8 ·
The only things I can think of:
If you are sure all bolts are removed, you may have to much pressure on it to slide out. You could lower the tranny some, or maybe remove the motor mounts completely so that rather than lifting off of the mounts, it could slide foreward more without strain against it. I'm not sure if there is 2 or 4 guide pins (or plugs) but I wouldn't think this has any effect.
Is the tranny and engine seperating at all???

#9 ·
we're positive we have all bolts out, and when we pry on it and yank forward with the cherry picker, we can see it very slightly move away from the tranny. it seems like its either still connected in the dead center, because its pulling away on the edges slightly, but we're thinking its sealant holding it together all the way around, and its not busting loose. that, or the dowel pins are corroded, but we sprayed them with penetrant, no luck though

#10 ·
alright, we got the tranny and engine apart, but we're still having trouble getting the engine to come out. the torque converter is sticking to the flex plate.

we cant get the motor mounts out, the passenger side is quite difficult to get at, beside the point of it being rusted, and we cant even locate the driver side motor mount bolts to remove them.

can we just... like.. hook the chain to my truck and rip the POS out? :(

#11 ·
we got the engine lifted up, but my crap cherry picker isnt high enough to clear the core support. the cherry picker is also underneath the lower A arms, and they are resting on it, so we cant lower the truck any lower. we also have a jack on the frame to control its height, and another jack on the tranny so that doesnt drop through.

any clever ideas? we're trying to find someone who has a transportable picker that will lift higher than ours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.