Alrighty here is what the car has.....

'72 cleveland 4v open chamber (75.4 cc)
bored .030
edelbrock performer intake with a 1inch open spacer
750 cfm speed demon carb.
hooker headers
2.5inch exhaust/flowmasters.
MSD 6a/dist/coil/wires.

Ok I have a cam that I am going to put in..I have already bought it, here is what the cam card says....

Duration:
int- 285 @.050- 225
exh- 295 @.050- 235

Lift:
int- .540
exh- .560

lobe sep.: 112*

Ok im just wonderin how that cam will work with everything else. I have actually already installed the valve springs that go with that bigger cam and been runnin with the stock cam. Car runs good, dont think the new springs are much different than the originals, car doesnt rev any better or worse than before, its what the cam recommends so I gotem just in case. I think the car has around 9.0:1 compression. Car has a 2000 rpm stall and 3.25 gears. Plannin on addin 4.11 gears in a month or so. Car is a daily driver, just wonderin what its gonna act like before i go puttin in the cam. Thanks for your info and opinions in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
ok got a problem, I installed the cam but when I tighten down the rocker arms (stock pedastal type) all the exhaust rockers are loose. I am assuming the drivetrain geometry is off. I know that the stock pushrod legnth is 8.4. What length should I put in to fix this, thank you.

#3 ·
4.11 gears is pretty small for a Daily Driver. get bad enough millage as is i'm going to switch over to 3.73's soon for some pick up but still keep some millage. not to mention you wont have any problem spinning tires ass is with 3.7's. As far as your push rod problem i would call the manufacturer of the cams b/c that sounds kinda weird to me maybe you were supposed to buy there rocker arms as well.

#4 ·
yea i stopped carin about gas mileage a long time ago...I always tell people if I wanted gas mileage I would have bought a honda..lol. yea im pretty sure I just need longer pushrods...but what has me confused is why only the pushrods on the exhaust valves would be loose...hmmm..idk.

#5 ·
hey have you tried turning the engine over to get the oil pressure up, I think the lifters need to fill up with oil. I currently have the same thing on my 302c, but it has spacers between the rockers and the heads which i will take out if that doesnt work. Its odd that its just your exhaust rockers tho.......

#6 ·
yea I tryed turnin it over but no luck.....I have actually already put the engine back together with the stock cam cause I need a car to drive. I still would like to try to figure out why it is like this. When I put it back together with the stock cam I noticed that ALL the rockers seem a little playful, they move side to side a little. But no where near as much as with the bigger cam in.....I just don't get it. With the big cam the intake rockers are actually tighter and the exhaust are looser than with the stock cam. I measured the pushrods and they are the stock 8.4....I've had a few people tell me if the block/heads have been decked it will throw the vavletrain geometry off, but it seems like that would make the pushrods too tall, not short like mine. Anyone have any ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.