Ford Forums banner

Rotor change

6K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Johnny Mullet 
#1 ·
Ok so my brothers wife has a 2003 Taurus and he has asked me to help with changing the front brake rotors(trying to save money on labor). Now Ive done rotors on my cars, but they are RWD. Can anyone help me or point me in the direction of some of some directions. Thanks

#2 ·
Remove the caliper, remove the 2 bolts that hold the caliper brace, remove rotor. When you go back & get to the caliper, put the bottom caliper bolt in lose, flip the caliper down, put in the pads and flip caliper up in place, intstall top bolt and tighten. Remember when you put the wheel back on to tighten lugnuts in star sequence.

Oh, you will probably need to compress the piston in the caliper, try not to open the system, use a C clamp to depress it slowly and dont force it in, you will feel it bottom out.

#3 ·
grimmcs said:
Ok so my brothers wife has a 2003 Taurus and he has asked me to help with changing the front brake rotors(trying to save money on labor). Now Ive done rotors on my cars, but they are RWD. Can anyone help me or point me in the direction of some of some directions. Thanks
It's just a slip-on rotor, just remove the calipers from the brackets, the brackets from the spindle, then they wiil either slip off, or you may have to hit the hub area with a hammer until it breaks loose.

#5 ·
grimmcs said:
Ok so its about the same. I just didnt know if it was a whole different process because its FWD. Besides rotors and new pads what else will I need to replace?
Unless you find anything damaged or missing, nothing else needs to be replaced. Make sure when you're using a C-Calmp to push in the caliper piston use an old pad in between the clamp and the piston.

#8 ·
grimmcs said:
Ok, so I just want to be sure(measure twice, cut once)... There are no bearings in the front rotors that I need to worry about? So it is only new pads and rotors? Also thanks for all the help.
No bearings, just pads and rotors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.