Ford Forums banner

whats wrong with my mondeo auto..?

4K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  backlash1 
#1 ·
Hiya, i'm new here and am hoping someone will be able to help me..I drive a ford mondeo GLX auto '97,unknown to me the transmission fluid pipe was leaking,this was only discovered when car started making a really loud noise, a new pipe was fitted and fluid replaced, but unfortunately the car is still making same noise..
therefore I assume I must have caused some damage running it without transmission fluid..can anyone please tell me what part is likely to be damaged and will it be expensive to repair, thanks a lot.

#3 ·
Thank you for replying, ive been getting desperate for an answer..The noise is like a drone if that makes sense, ive also been describing it as like an old motorbike starting up..! It only makes it when car is moving and not when its just ticking over..(The car is serviced every year at a ford garage.)

#4 ·
OK
Let's be more specific. How much fluid did they put in the gearbox after the repair? Did the leak got to the point where the car lost so much fluid that it didn't move at all when you put it in Drive or Reverse?
Did you experience warning lights flashing on the instrument cluster while driving?
I'll tell you where I'm going with this. What you describe sounds more like a wheel bearing noise, and it may be unrelated to your gearbox leak. Simple test: Drive your car at a steady speed where you can clearly hear the noise (50-60 km/h ?) then swerve the steering (not too quickly, give the car time to settle) a few times from one side to the other to change the weight of the car from left to right. If you can hear a change in the quality or volume of the noise it'll be a wheel bearing. Let us know how you go. cheers
Marc

#5 ·
Hiya, i did the wheel test like you said and there is no difference in the noise, but what i did notice was that when i slowed right down to about 25-30mph the noise got much louder (also when i took my foot off the accelerator and just let car move along the noise was very loud) than when i drove at 50-60mph, but there is no noise at all when car is stationary, only when its moving. The fluid was topped up to almost maximum level, at no time did the car stop going, and there were never any warning lights flashing at any time. Thanks for your help, Alannah

#6 ·
Hi Alannah
What you say in the last post makes me think that maybe the noise is in one of the lower gears. If so, you may need to overhaul the transmission (sorry!). Do this quick test: Select the gears manually while driving, take off in 1, then 2 and so on and see if the noise changes with each gear or if it's louder in some more than others. This will confirm an internal problem. cheers
Marc

#7 ·
Hiya Marc, sorry for the delay in replying but ive been busy packing as i'm off on holiday today for 2 weeks, i havn't had a chance to try out the car in the low gears as you've suggested but will do it as soon as i get back home.
Thanks again for all your help and will get back to you in a couple of weeks, Alannah.

#8 ·
Hi Marc, I've come home early from holiday and tried the car in the low gears but they are fine, gears change okay no noise, it's just as it was before.. while driving along really slow it's very loud but when I speed up it's not too bad and the faster I go the noise almost stops I can hardly hear it. Alannah.

#9 ·
Hi again
If the noise is there regardless of which gear was selected it can only be diff, bearings, driveshafts or tyres. So, get the car off the ground (on stands please, not on bricks!!) put it in drive and get it to the speed where the noise is worse when you're on the road. If the noise is still there try to locate which side it's coming from or if it's under the car.

#11 ·
Hiya Marc, I got someone to check car as you suggested, turns out it was a bearing after all, I put it into my local garage this morning and just collected it a few mins ago, i'm so pleased it wasn't anything more serious and i'd like to thank you very much for all your help, its very much appreciated.
Kind Regards, Alannah

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.