Ford Forums banner

Scratchin my head

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  mtneer57 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 Ford Ranger XLT ( I call scooty-ok im a woman) and last winter the temp gauge went out and i replaced the therm and the computer piece with it ( i cannot remember for the life of me what it was called at this time of night) along with some other things such as timing and other belts. The guage worked after that but it never really registered at the mark on the gauge that it did before when it worked but it never had a big issue with it until about 2 -3 weeks ago when i moved from Phoenix AZ to tulsa OK. When the temp outside is more than 90 degrees and i drive the truck, the guage will rise up near the max line and will hold there for a few seconds and then POOF will drop back down to the middle of the gauge and this will do it several times before it stablizes. Now if the outside temp is under 90 degrees, it will run normal. I have asked everyone i know with come mechanical ability and even some with questionable mechanical ability and have not found a reasonable answer. One said it might be a bad therm another said it was the temp sensor another even suggested a blockage in the radiator. Any suggestions or input?

Thank you
Traci

#2 ·
it may be just a bubble in the system. to fix this if it is, with the truck cold pop off the radiator cap and start it up and let it warm up. run it a little and lightly rev it some to "burp"make sure the overflow tank is at its correct level and put the cap on again. then drive around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.