Ford Forums banner

Parts need for '97 GL tranny cooler line replacement

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  SHOZ123 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I've got a '97 GL 3.0L SOHC model with a tranny cooler line leaking on the steel section of the line. Its the lower line on the transmission.

I've already gotten the nut on the transmission lose, and removed the shroud under the radiator, so I'm pretty sure I can get the entire line out.

My question: the line has a nut with some kind of special connector to the steel line, and then the line is rubber to the radiator.

What parts do I replace? Does the nut and rubber come off the steel line? Is it all one piece? Do I need some special tool to get that nut off the line?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Usually the steel line is flared. You might be able to slide the nut all the way back, if it will make it past any bends, but you will gain nothing. As far as what you need to replace, it depends where the line is leaking. If it is the 'smooth' part of the steel line,(such as where it is clamped to the frame somewhere), you could cut the steel line and just put on a longer piece of rubber hose. If it is just the hose leaking, replace just the hose. Best course of action would be to replace the entire line. If the line gives out on you, you may not only find yourself stranded, but your tranny could get toasted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.