Ford Forums banner

XR Sprint startin dodgy

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Hinchi 
#1 ·
Thought i might get your opinions on this.

I just got off my p's and started driving my xr sprint this weekend, and it seems a bit dodgy to start.

It turns over fine but has to crank a little while before it fires up, and when it does it sort of coughs to life.

I was sort of guessing that it could be dodgy electronics (leads plugs etc) as i checked out the leads and they are grey and have 1994 printed on them so i assume they are still original. O yeah it seems to crank longer if the engine is hot and hotter weather.

Im probably gonna take the car into the mechanic on tuesday to throw it onto the computer and check if all is good, but just wondered if you guys had any guesses what might be goin on.

PS. What new leads should i put on? Stockies?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Yep I would say you picked it. Std leads are not real good.I have Champion leads,made heaps over the old ones. Depends on Kl's but consider rotor and dist cap? Another too is that engine uses the longer plugs, someone may have put in std v8 plugs that are approx.10 mm shorter. Check !! Aircleaner/fuel pump too ..

#4 ·
It could also be fuel pressure regulator. If this is faulty it will not provide enough fuel to the motor when starting (ie you will crank it for a while) and it may miss and carry on when it fires.

Also, if this device is faulty, too much fuel will drain back (to the petrol tank) from the fuel rails @ the motor meaning that the engine will not have any instantaneous supply of fuel when you go to start it.

#5 ·
Just a thought.Some times with oil type filters the oil can contaminate the wire in the maf,just back from air cleaner.Simply fixed by spraying with white spirits or similar broduct..

#6 ·
finally worked it out

Thanks for your help guys, but the problem got worse and eventually the bitch died on me on the way to work. (my mechanic was shut for christmas and new year so i couldnt get him to have a look)

So had to get racv to tow the car to ford dealer and turns out it was the fuel pump on its way out and after stinging me the best part of 500 bux for a new pump its all good now.

Had to sh*t itself so close to christmas.......

#8 ·
Blacklocks

Yeah I reckon they were a bit dear, but my mechanic was closed and i really needed the car to be going for christmas.

After I picked the car up I went and filled the tank up, but the gauge didnt go all the way to full and i thought i might have just not filled it all the way (the pump clicked and stopped so i assumed it was full).

But now im starting to wonder cause it is sitting at 3/4 and has been since the car was filled and i have done prolly 250kms, and before the gauge was starting to move from full after doin that many kms, so I will go and fill it up tomoro after werk and if the gauge she dont move, well blacklocks will be getting a bit of a call about a stuffed petrol gauge.

Which mechanic do u use EL FUTURA? I have had an excellent run with Southpoint autos right in town. They always seem to look after me.

#9 ·
I actually use Biti Motors in Culcairn (yes they're a dealership...many people on Ford Forums are VERY pessimistic about Dealers but Biti Motors are pretty good)

...I've had a bit of a problem with a fuel pump/filter before. A while ago, and it was NOT my fault AT ALL, my car was filled up with Diesel!! We get fuel delivered and the fuel guy put diesel in the unleaded tank!! :dead: :crazy1:...at least she runs good now!

#10 ·
Im guessing you probably had a few words with that bloke? How would you fix that? drain the tank and fill it up with unleaded and then wait for the car to fire and start to run to get all the diesel out of the system?

O yeah I gota White ED sprint thats very stock.... right now so it shouldn't be hard to spot (ive only seen one other sprint in Albury, a red one and there is a black one in Wodonga i think)

Are you in one of the tickford clubs? I cant decide which one to join NSW or VIC? I will prolly go VIC coz melbourne is closer i guess.

#11 ·
I didn't have a word to the bloke but he was VERY sorry apparently!! I car was put on a low-trailer and was fixed by a local mechanic...fortunately, the fuel didn't go too far into the system...I can say that I own one of the few Falcons in Oz with diesel in the tank

My car is very stock as well...no hub caps, the rims have been painted a silvery/gold colour and the car is green

I'm not in a Tickford club...probably won't bother, rather spend (waste) the money on the car!!:s6:

#12 ·
EL FUTURA said:
hey, another person from Albury!! Welcome to the boards- I'm guessing your car went to Blacklocks...I heard they can rip off a bit.

ummm, no comment:bwhaaaaaa :bwhaaaaaa :bwhaaaaaa

#15 ·
Fuel gauge playing up

After filling the car up with fuel again today, the gauge wont go past 3/4 full, so i will have to ring the service department about it on monday.

A mate said that there is a little bit that has to sit just right inside the tank for the gauge to work properly so maybe that isnt back in right, but hopefully it wont be a big hassle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.