Ford Forums banner

My '03 Ranger XLT has problems starting

2K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  ranger_guy_82 
#1 ·
First I thought it was bad batch of gas because after I got a full tank a month and half ago is when this all started. If it sits overnight it starts right up so I can go to work, I leave at 8:15am for the 5 minute drive, then at 9:15when I go to the P.O. is when I make the decision on how to start it, if it won't turn over the first time, I have to turn it so the fuel pump kicks on then it starts and this is the method I use for the rest of the day. Some days it starts right up, but those are few and far between.

I took it to one mechanic and all he noted was a very minute drop in fuel pressure and said that that couldn't be the problem, so I let it go at that. Since then I have put in high grade fuel, several octane boosters and just recently spent $130 on a fuel system flush and its still doing it......and now to boot, the damn check engine light is coming on.

Now, I'm not mechaniclly inclined by any means, but I'm thinking if it was a fuel sensor or fuel pump or something, I'm sure they would have said something.

Anybody have any clues before I take it to Pasadena Ford?

Many thanx in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
Since the check engine light is on now, u can take the truck to Autozone if u live near one. They will hook up a code reader for u at no charge and it will tell u why the light is on. Start with that and then let us know what the code reader found. We can then go from there in fixing your problem!...It would also help to know what engine u have.....Good Luck!.....:hy:

#5 ·
I actually took it to Pep Boys since its closer to me than AutoZone
by about 1 1/2 miles.

They hooked up the code reader to it and it came back P0172 Mixture too rich

I looked the code up at http://www.obdii.com/codes.asp and it told me this:

Fuel Trim System Rich Bank 1

I'm gonna ask a stupid ? but is this bad, I'm not going to have to invest
in a new engine am I?

Thanx again for the help

#7 ·
Just got back from Pep Boys and they said it is some sort of sensor
on the fuel line. Theyve called around and thought they'd have had
the part by now, so theyre gonna probably end up calling Ford.

So hopefully by tomorrow, Ill have my truck back

#8 ·
Just an update.....I got the truck back Thursday afternoon
and they had to replace the Fuel Pressure Regulator, so I
was only out $81 for the part, but it runs good and starts
up the way I'm used to it starting.

Thanx for all your suggestions ranger guy, I'm a happy
camper now :hy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.