Ford Forums banner

Misfiring question

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Chongo 
#1 ·
I have a 1997 Ranger 4 cylinder and I am needing some help with a misfiring problem. When my engine is cold you can feel it misfiring. So I replaced the spark plugs twice and checked the gap. I replaced the wires twice, replaced the fuel filter, and replaced the catalytic converter. I put injector cleaner thinking they were dirty. I couldn't figure out what the problem was so I took it to get a diagnostic and they couldn't figure it out so they said I needed to get my computer re flashed by the dealer. To me that sounds like BS on opening up another can of worms. Does anyone have any ideas. thanks

#2 ·
Misfiring question
<HR>I have a 1997 Ranger 4 cylinder and I am needing some help with a misfiring problem. When my engine is cold you can feel it misfiring. So I replaced the spark plugs twice and checked the gap. I replaced the wires twice, replaced the fuel filter, and replaced the catalytic converter. I put injector cleaner thinking they were dirty. I couldn't figure out what the problem was so I took it to get a diagnostic and they couldn't figure it out so they said I needed to get my computer re flashed by the dealer. To me that sounds like BS on opening up another can of worms. Does anyone have any ideas. thanks

The dealer can sometimes modify or re-burn the program into the processor, it's easier to just replace the processor though.

Is the check engine light on ?

Was there any work you had done to it prior to the problem ?

How are all of your vacuum lines? and what shape are they in ?

Let me know......... Chongo :bandit:

#3 ·
The check engine light is on, a lot vacuum lines were wrapped with that heat tape. I asked the dealer about the lines since no one else has them and the dealer said it was a wiring bundle but it was like 180 dollars. The guy before me had the values worked on a year ago thats it.

#4 ·
Re: Misfiring question<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

<HR style="COLOR: #999999" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --><!-- google_ad_section_start -->The check engine light is on, a lot vacuum lines were wrapped with that heat tape. I asked the dealer about the lines since no one else has them and the dealer said it was a wiring bundle but it was like 180 dollars. The guy before me had the values worked on a year ago thats it.

Take your truck down to autozone and have them read the codes, If you don't have an autozone nearby, then take it to the closest one with a OBD2 tester. Then post them here, and I'll tell you where to look, or what you'll need.

Good luck, Chongo :bandit:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.