Ford Forums banner

No Spark Now Weak Spark Please Help

6K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  tbird100636 
#1 · (Edited)
I HOPE SOMEONE OUT THERE CAN HELP ME. I HAVE A 96 SABLE 3.0 12 VALVE ENGINE, IT DIED ON ME ON THE NJ TPK CRUISING AT 75 MPH, AND WOULD NOT START BACK UP. I HAD AAA TOW ME HOME, I REPLACED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING, CRANK SENSOR GOT ME FROM NO SPARK TO WEAK SPARK, NEW PLUGS AND WIRES, NEW COIL, NEW BATTERY, CAM SENSOR, THAT WAS FUN BURIED UNDER HARNESS. I AM STILL GETTING A WEAK YELLOW SPARK AND AM STUMPED AT WHAT TO TRY NEXT B4 GETTING ROBBED BY THE DEALER OR SHOP. ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATTED............................JACK:driver:

See less See more
#2 ·
If you have a code reader check codes and post them here. Also check fuse 20 in the fuse block under the dash. If the fuse is good check the WT/LB wire at the coil with the key on for battery voltage using a voltmeter. If it is not what battery voltage is then there is an issue in the circuit. The radio capacitor also ties into the circuit that feeds the coil so try disconnecting it and see what happens. With a test light clipped to positive check the VT/BK, VT/WT VT/RD??? wires (diagram I'm using isn't clear on the VT/RD wire) at the coil while cranking. Each one should flash, as this is the PCM grounding and ungrounding the primary circuits of the coil. If you still have a weak spark then you possibly have a wiring issue or a bad PCM.

#4 ·
First, why all the caps??? What did I say that was wrong??? Second, if a sensor or component is not working within parameters, this would be a starting point, other than what I also previously stated about testing the coil Ignition feed and the coil drivers. If the Ignition voltage to the coil is too low then you will get a weaker spark. If you have a coil driver not operating properly you could have a starting issue. A wiring issue with the crank sensor or a problem with the tone wheel could cause it. In a rare case I'd expect a PCM but you have to make sure everything else is working first before condemning a potentially expensive PCM.

#6 ·
Sorry about the caps, not the best typist and i find it easier for me to type that way i will put reader on car again this morning and check coil plug voltage, then post results, t-bird you didnt say anything wrong and i appreciate your help...............Jack

#11 ·
The car doesn't start and he says the spark is weak. I told him to check the coil ignition feed already. Shouldn't matter if the cars running or not. As long as there isn't a large voltage drop from actual battery voltage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.