Ford Forums banner

K&N filter/programmers

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  360ci 
#1 ·
stock vs. k&n filter& programers????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 2002 7.3 with 37,000 miles , I have been told by 3 people at diff dealerships that the k&n filter is not a good filter ,it lets dirt get in the turbo causing the turbine to get ate up....I had the k&n in my truck for about 1/2 those miles ,now have stock back in,but I notice the power difference, I would like to know of a good hi flow filter that fits in stock air box(I cut hole in head light mounting panel in front of snorkel to allow outside cooler air intake from grille opening)and has good filtering properties............also any suggestions on programmers vs chips,what works better and any long term ,no problem ones out there ,who makes the most reliable one????............my truck is a mostly stock 4x4,crewcab, other then a flowmaster muffler back exhaust, 305/70/16 tires on aftermarket wheels ,once had k&n filter..............just wanting a little more power,maybe more mileage(with diesel at nearly $5.00) without having to worry about EGT and breaking down....any advise appreciated,Thanks

#3 ·
K&N is a good filter, hands down. I don't reoil the filter. I replace it once it gets dirty. Amsoil makes cone filters with a very fine meshed fibre. Works great and there's NO OIL to worry about. Programmers MAY net mileage gains but not as much as you may hear. I've tried both superchips and hypertech on gas engines and they've about broke even, but superchips did give a slight performance edge (in your pants feel). Bullydog makes some good diesel products - check them out!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.